Best place for Panels

MarkB

Hi all
I have a GT6 Mk2 and Spit Mk3 that need restoring at some point, GT6 is on the road, Spitfire is a basket case I was thinking of starting to buy the necessary panels now. Realistically  I wont start on either for a couple of years, still working on the Vitesse and an MX5 turbo project. Four years agoI bought a new rear wing which I fitted to the Gt6 mk2, checked the receipt and I paid £125 looking today all the traders are asking £200. All panel prices have gone up an a lot it seems. Any suggestions where I should buy from? I want British motor Heritage panels apparently they are as per Original and are meant to fit, what do you all think?. Any advice appreciated.

mark  

Try the usual suspects.
Canley classics, james paddock and rimmers.

If buying a number of panels at once, get them to give you a best price.

Alternatively, trawl the autojumbles. In your situation, make a list (ouch) and go to stoneleigh next feb/march and see what you can find. Unused panels seem to sell around 2/3 new price.

Thanks they are the places I have been getting quotes from with the addition of Fitchetts. Rear valance has just gone up £20.00 to £105.00 this month at Fitchetts, new batch and apparently steel price increase is the cause. They produce their own GT6 Mk2 front wing from original tooling has anyone fitted these? I am wondering what the fit is like compared to the Heritage ones.

Thanks

Mark

With an early spitfire (and 'ditto' gt6) outer front/rear wings are OE and new rear valance a very good copy (not like the old ones, so worth the money IMHO).
You can only buy repo panels for floors and inner/middle sills.
Outer sills available as repro and OE, avoid repro at all costs!

Rear inner arches are copy's - outer part not very good. Front ones: For inner, only mk4/1500 available, but will fit. Outer (up to wings) are hand made reproductions.

Usual suspects, try james paddock, canley etc.