North Weald activity day

Clive

Not exactly a track day.....but excellent prep if you haven't done one.
Today I took Molly (18, passed driving test less than a year ago, interested in doing a trackday) up to North Weald where I had enetered her for the MGOT "activity day" run by Car Limits.

The cost was a very reasonable £60 including teh £10 surcharge for being an alien. Arrive by 8.15, and best not be late. I think somebody who arrived after the 8.30 briefing was told to go home!

The day consisted of a very simple task in the morning. ie a narrow roadway, about 1/4 mile long. Followed by a massive strip of concrete crossing it. Molly took it in turns with te others at driving down the roadway, and then cornering left in a given area. Simple, she managed 44mph on her first run, but got faster and faster, finally managing a respectable 64mph (all measured with a magic  speedgun) this built confidence, and Molly got to experience a car sliding away under her, but in  a safe environment.

After lunch, they set out 2 simple corses with cones, a bit like a simple autosolo type of thing. Again, one car at a time, and speeds increasing but exploring hadling. We did have one beautiful 360 spin when Molly braked a bit too late and it all went pear-shaped! However, because of the way the day was set up, it was a laugh and off we went! No criticism, everybody was supportive and friendly.

Thought it was worth mentioning our experience, there are probably people out there who like the idea of a trackday, but have concerns. This is a great way to get some experience, without feeling a numpty or being hassled.
Car limits offer these days throughout he year, often via owners clubs, and often not. Only one car on the course at a time, so a safe bet

It's an event I would recommend to get a feel for driving a car quickly and you are not used to it. We have had several members go on it.  I think it is better preparation for autosolos that track days, but none the less it is useful and I hope Molly enjoyed it and found it useful.  

MGoT do novice only sessions within their track days. I have asked MGoT where and when their next novice session will be.  I'll post the answer when I have got it.