MGoT Donington Mon 5th October

Chriss

MGoT are having difficulty filling their day at Donington on Monday 5th October and would like our help.  Donington is one of the best tracks in the country and always gives a great day wet or dry. You can bring any compatible car, so it does not have to be your Triumph and it may not need to be "classic".  Ask if you are in doubt.

Details are at

http://www.mgs-on-track.com/events/178/donington_park_2015-10-05.htm

In summary the price is £165, £16 for extra driver. Donington is near J24 / J25 on the M1. Helmet hire and tuition are availible.

If you are coming please add your name to the list below:

Chris Shaw                                            Saab C900 JPS
Roy Castle                                            MG ZS 180

Whoohoo, booked!
Yep, it seems it is ok to call a spitfire an MG/rover! Now to book a hotel, bit of a trek from Brighton.......

Clive Senior                                             Spitfire

Hi Clive

Sorry to be so long in replying.  I had to go to Scotland (and back) yesterday to pick up an MG TF 160.

No I haven't gone over to the other (dark) side, it was for a friend, to go with his MG ZS 180.

Have you set yourself up on the MGoT website with username, login and details.  The details allow you to have a choice of 3 cars, selected by button.  The MX5 will be fine as MGs see that as compatible.  If you can set yourself up and have a choice of cars and select the MX5, that would be the optimum.

Good to see you have entered. Spitfire (150bhp) ! What have you got in there?   You'll enjoy Donington.  It is possibly the best overall circuit in the country with some great corners and decent run off areas.  Shame for you that it is so far, but being near East Midlands Airport hotels will not be a problem and there are some good B&Bs in Castle Donington.

Anyone else up for this.  It would be good to see some familiar faces, even if the cars are not familiar.  Peter Paint, how about brining the MR2?  

All sorted Chris. I was intrigued by the box "confirming" I was booking a rover/mg. I asked the organisers, and they said nobody had ever asked before! Anyway, I will be there, no Gill this time.
Tempted to stay at the airport. Put off by the fact flights start rather early though, so will check out castle Donnington.

BTW Spitfire has a Zetec fitted, with suitable brakes and suspension to suit. The diff is the weak point, but a trackday will hopefully not overstress it.

Clive Senior                                             Spitfire
Peter Paint                                            MR2
Peter Paint                                            MX5

Look forward to seeing you again Peter

• 5 weeks later...

Chris Shaw                                            Triumph 900 JPS
Clive Senior                                           Spitfire
Peter Ots                                               MR2
Peter Ots                                               MX5
Tim Nottidge                                          MX5

Thanks everyone for booking.  MGoT have now been able to fill the day.  I am glad that between us we have been able to get 1 Triumph.  Regrettably I am not bringing my TR7, but it did get an outing at a drenched Brands Hatch GP circuit last month.  I need to do some testing of modifications to the Triumph 900's clutch and handling problems prior to hopefully taking it to Spa next year.

Indeed, thanks to CT for their support of this event.
As Chris says, all now booked but we do have a couple of late cancellations if anyone wants to turn up on the day. In fact anyone from here is welcome to just come along and have a look.
Off to drive up to Derby now
See you all there

Tim  

I hope everyone has got back safely.  

Some day that was:  I think everyone had great fun at one of the countries best circuits, even though the weather threw everything it had at us, that probably made it more interesting as no session was the same and what's more no serious offs and no mechanical issues......well done all, great result.

Thanks very much Tim & Fran and all at MGoT.

It was indeed a good day, and even though the rain/drizzle made things a little tricky to start with it meant lines had to be half reasonable!
Tedious 180 mile drive home in the pouring rain, and would I do it again? Of course!

Actually it was a really well run day with like-minded enthusiasts and a few wacky cars (the minor was insane!) and would happily recommend MGOT as a good group to do a trackday with.

On a personal note, the Spit seemed to go well despite the recurring starter wiring grief (but quickly bodged) so that is a job sometime. Seemd to be pretty equal with the MGF160's  though when I took the driver of a std MGF 135  for a session, he reckoned the spitfire can easily outbrake an MGF. So nice to know teh car is pretty OK. Just need a lower ratio diff, by about half a gear. Guess it will be painful on the ears though 🤔

Hi Tom

Good to hear from you.  How is your season going.

I am slowly chipping away at my car improvements, but Donington was two steps forward, one back:  After fitting Handkook tyres on the Saab for Silverstone I was left with really bad handling problems, like driving in the wet when it was bone dry and also the clutch would pack up after 15 mins driving on circuit.  I have resolved the handling problem by fitting Yokohama AD08 tyres all round, and the clutch problems by separating the joint brake/clutch hydraulics resevoir, but......  I needed new rear brake lilnings.  I had found that the old linings were much older than I had expected and were EBC Green Stuff.  I thought that these had been replaced years ago and that I had Mintex 1155 front and rear.  My garage replaced them with standard Saab pads.  These have different friction /  temperature / pressure characteristics to the M1155s I have on the front.  When cold they have a much greater retarding effect, but not so when hot.  So I had to cope with the rear moving about quite a bit on corner entry.  Just what you need, turn in oversteer.  I must have the only Saab in the world that does that.  Otherwise it went very well

The Triumph is coming along well.  I am trying to make it lighter to drive and more comfortable, but I took it to Brands Hatch GP with MGoT in August.  It was drenched and very difficult.  I managed to leave the track more times in 3 sessions than I have in all my TD career.

Cheers, Chris  

Hi Chris,

Likewise.

Season been a bit slow this year, X2 track days, and X2 sprints.

A recent house purchase has meant limited car time and funds less available..

Have you ever tried Yokohama A048s. ?

Glad you kept both on the straight and narrow, and look forward to the new season.

Want to get to some track days next year for sure.

Cheers.

Hi Tom

I have not tried AO48s, but I have been overtaken by many cars using them   .

The AD08s I have just  fitted to my 900JPS have worked brilliantly and completely restored the grip levels and reduced understeer to very acceptable levels.  They are somewhat cheaper than AO48s and a better compromise for road and wet weather.  Roy has put them on his ZS and Tim on his MR5 and they are both very satisfied with them and consider them an improvement on their previous tyres. They are also more widely available and available in a greater range of sizes.

I need to sort the brake compound for the rear and I hope it is off to Spa with Lotus on Track in the 900 next year

Cheers, Chris

OK All I'll keep you posted next year what I am planning.

It goes along the following lines:  Get Saab 900 sorted and tested, probably now at Silverstone or Bedford, if no problems book on one of the Lotus on Track days at Spa.  There are several I don't know which one yet.

Spa has some particular peculiarities and it will not be like a normal, British TD.  Twice a lap I expect to bring my Saab down from 140+ mph to < 70mph.  That is going to be very hard on the brakes.  There isn't anywhere to test that in the UK.  Silverstone and Bedford are the nearest.  I have some problems to sort at the moment with the rear brake compound as too much rear bias pitched me off the track at Donny.

LoT at Spa will be open pit lane so that may make for longer sessions.Suggest any one interested goes for a test session at Silverstone with MGoT in March.

Cheers, Chris