Classic Car Action Day at Castle Combe

2Toledos

As no-one else has mentioned it; I thought I'd just let all you 'track day types' know that there is a Classic Car Action Day at Castle Combe on Saturday 9th June.

If you are interested in going; I would strongly recommend booking your tickets and track passes in advance, as these days are becoming increasingly popular and at the last (open to all) track day at CC; there were no track passes available on the day as all sessions were fully booked.
Book online at: http://www.goliathres.com/v4/res_event_avail.asp?supplierCode=cst100&cat1=5&activityId=20

At the moment; I only know of myself and Jon (trackerjack) who are going. Anyone else going ?

Had a great (although very warm) day there today, and managed not to bend the car any more than it already is  ::). Met up with MadMart and he managed (only just !) to catch a ride with me. Also caught up with Jon (trackerjack); though he was a bit pre-occupied and will no doubt have his own tale to tell. Took out the father-in-law and brother-in-law, in turn, on my two earlier sessions, and they seemed to enjoy themselves and now want to 'have another go'. This track-day bug is very infectious 8)

I couldn't find the club stand; so, just parked up on my own at the 'top' of the paddock on a very uselful (for jacking the car up) patch of hard-standing.

Firstly I would like to say it was a great shame that on such a high profile event that CT had an amazing low profile.
Met Smithy and his much more attractive better half, and had a little chat, it is so good to put faces to names.
Briefly saw Chris & Mart, noticed Chris sorting out many more powerful cars than his on track, impressive stuff.
Dave Sideways arrived and we had a little natter (although not as much as on here).
Diane "Stiglet" improved her lap times by 6 sec and is now in the 1.47 league.
I had two sessions the first we were lapping in 1.31 sec and were not passed by anyone, I even managed to lap some Marcos sports cars ;)
My second session was going well as I got past a Lotus Sunbeam and then had a mighty struggle with two Lotus Sevens and an Avenger, finally the sevens spun off at the second chicane, with a clear track the car was flying.......................and then on Camp corner after smelling coolant and spotting a temp rise, the car was spewing coolant which found its way onto the rear tyres, for the first time in 30 years Diane enjoyed an OFF with me! as we slid sideways at seventy and onto the grass where I managed to regain control, exciting stuff this track daying.
Diagnosed a blown head gasket and a return to Hampshire on the back of a lorry :'(
Broken me toy mummy.

well i guess congratulations is in order for 2toledos for getting round his curse at combe ;)

and then sorry to Jon! shame about the car mate but no doubt youll have it back soon stronger and maybe have abit more work done on it while the engines apart? ;) although good to hear that it was going well before hand! cant wait for next years track days, be in the same group as you and see if you can still manage not to be passed ;)

[quote by=trackerjack link=Blah.pl?b=trackdays,m=1180783111,s=9 date=1181429678]Firstly I would like to say it was a great shame that on such a high profile event that CT had an amazing low profile.[/quote]

Have to agree with you there, but it wasn't confined to CT. I parked up on the TSSC area(as they had supplied the free pass) and they only had 8 or 9 cars. I can understand peopel not coming if this meant a long drive to get there, but there were 20+ people at the TSSC meet on monday night at the Cross Hands pub 5 miles away?
Anyway, it was a glorious day. Didn't take mine on the track- parts to be boughts so money to be saved. Have to say, I was cra##ing myself when we saw half a dozen cars spinning and two that were writen off in 'contacts'. One was a nice 400 GSi Turbo saloon. Something of a rarity(even rarer now....)
Met up with 'Sideways' Dave, very nice chat and have planned to do some fiddlin' with my car for real. I foolishly turned down the offer of a passenger ride in his Italian Stallion, due to wanting to watch a mate go around in his TR. Bad move, the guy was somewhat tentative in the old brute, so in hindsight, a trip out with Dave would have been a much better idea(sorry Dave). :B
Afterwards, sat round with the guys from the TSSC chewing the fat in the sun. They are a nice disperate bunch and it was a lovely way to end the day.  8)
However, the day finished for real with a nice saunter back to Yate with two TR4's(one a 2.7PI sixpot). Let them overtake me going around a roundabout, then burn't them off big-stylee on the Chipping Sodbury by-pass: yeeeeee-haa! ;D

[quote by=davesideways link=Blah.pl?b=trackdays,m=1180783111,s=12 date=1181481456]Where were CT I wandered around but did not see?  Yes very few Triumphs, no youngens like Jony5....Still...[/quote]
that sounds as if you missed me dave ;) ;D;D;D or was it the wobbly banana wobbling round gerrards that you missed lol

[quote by=malcolm link=Blah.pl?b=trackdays,m=1180783111,s=15 date=1181513724]I was there - just not in a Triumph this time....

;D

Malcolm.
[/quote]

You were having a nice tussel with the black Capri, weren't you? The Scimitar sounded very nice. :)

[quote by=2Toledos link=Blah.pl?b=trackdays,m=1180783111,s=13 date=1181503712]"...Golf Gti's with drivers who assumed it was race ..." Let me guess: the gold one, and the blue one ?
[/quote]
These guys are the owner/operator of Grantmotorsport in Bristol(blue car) and his mate Malcolm (gold car). The are often at Castle Coombe, given that it is just up the road from their VW tuning emporium in Bristol.
Both mad as a box of frogs. They tend to have a large contingent of young hangers-on in their fraternity- as was the case on Saturday.
The value of their cars is tuppence- hence the ridiculous attitude to the rules.

[quote by=GT6boy link=Blah.pl?b=trackdays,m=1180783111,s=19 date=1181634702] I spoke to the Rover driver, his car was probably witten off(valuewise at least). He loved his car and thought it was the Civics fault. It wasn't the time and place for me to say:"you're kidding arn't you- you overcooked it mate !".  ;)
Turned out the Civic owner(very young guy) had no track insurance and wanted to drag both cars onto the road outside Castle Coombe. Mr Rover told him to piss off.
[/quote]

What did he expect the Civic to do? grow wings and fly? the Rover was plain bad driving (too fast).

Gotta say I would not go to a open day at CC anymore, too many fools in realtively modern cars with little regard for anyone.

Beats me how the Rover man can complain.

The chap with the camera was asked by his mate if he got some footage of the cars coming together- seems to sum up the day.

What a shame that the Classic Action day has degenerated into this.

I have always had a soft spot for Imps as they make Mini's look like they came from the stone age.
I used to have a bog standard 850 one and it was so good at cornering I used to often look behind as some silly sod tried to follow into a corner at the same speed and they nearly crash.
I would like one with a bike engine in it.

The Fiat is like its Italian stylish relative.

Archived