New to all this...

Reishtak

Hi guys.  I am new to the world of classic cars, just got a mkIV spit a few weeks ago.  Luckily, I managed to find (and stump up th ecash for) a nice little runner, which is pretty heavily modified.

Anyway, I am really keen to get into the whole track day/event thing, but I have no experience whatsoever!

So, I am after advice and/or a starting point for all this.  Would you reccomend that I just go to an event?  What does this entail (do I need to register beforehand etc?)  Do I need any training / mentoring given the fact that I haven't been racing before.

Basically any advice or tips you can give to a complete newbie would be great - I've got the car booked for some time on rollers in a week or so, so I'm really keen to get the car to somewhere I can watch the world whizz by rather than just watching the speedo....

Ed

Hi Ed,

We at Club triumph take part in a number of Track Days that are organised by the MG on Track (MGoT) people. This year we have been to Cadwell Park and had a ball, an absolutely great track and a very well organised day.

The next one is due at Castle Combe due on 14th July.

http://www.mgs-on-track.com/events/52/castle_combe_-_club_triumph_session_2008

So far 10 have signed up, so we have space for two more.

I can whole heartedly recommend the MGoT events, as I'm sure would other CT members who have attended them. As good a place to start as any, and probably as safe a place as any, to start. You'd be hard pushed to find another track day event where the drivers show as much (if not more) consideration to others' cars, as they do their own.
If you don't fancy jumping straight in; just come along on 14/07 and see how it works. I'd be quite happy to offer you my passenger seat for a session.... not that that'll teach you much about Spitfire driving ??)

There's always plenty of advice to be had; but, 'we' all have our own way of doing things; and all, some, or none; might/might not work for you  :-/. So, probably the best advice I can give (for what it's worth) is: Take your time and do what feels right for you; and, don't try to 'run before you can walk'. You can usually book professional tuition at MGoT events, too; so, you can learn 'the proper way' to do things.

Ed

I wrote an article for Club Torque, the CT magazine, a while back about trackdays: what to expect and how to prepare.  I'll PM this to you shortly.  It contains pretty much all you need to know about getting to a trackday.

Good luck with it, Chris

Wow, thanks for your advice there guys.  Plenty of it.

Yes Nige, I did post the same topic on the tssc forum - I was having a slow day at work and keen for things to look into.

As I said on the other thread, I've been really busy recently with work etc, so couldn't make last weekend, which I am really annoyed about - and this weekend is no better either - although the bonus is that the car is being looked at so should be even nicer to drive after!

I would really appreciate that article you mention Chriss, and cant thank you enough for offering to pm it to me (pls do :P)!

Again, thanks all for your input.  I will get down to looking realistically at when and where I can attend soon, and take it from there.  Is there a 'best' place to look at for forthcoming dates etc?

Thanks again all!!!

Wow, thanks for your advice there guys.  Plenty of it.

Yes Nige, I did post the same topic on the tssc forum - I was having a slow day at work and keen for things to look into.

As I said on the other thread, I've been really busy recently with work etc, so couldn't make last weekend, which I am really annoyed about - and this weekend is no better either - although the bonus is that the car is being looked at so should be even nicer to drive after!

I would really appreciate that article you mention Chriss, and cant thank you enough for offering to pm it to me (pls do :P)!

Again, thanks all for your input.  I will get down to looking realistically at when and where I can attend soon, and take it from there.  Is there a 'best' place to look at for forthcoming dates etc?

Thanks again all!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ed, Clive

I have not forgotten you!  Just having trouble with the equipment and I do not seem to be able to PM or email you.  I have spoken with Fred and later this week we will get the article onto the Trackdays part of the Competitions Section so that everyone can view it.

Chris

Archived