2015 Rallies Mini-Series

sparky_spit

Colin is correct.  The "fixed amount" for marshalling on Mini-Series events was slightly unfair under certain circumstances so it was agreed to use the percentage system.  This is (copied from the comps website):-

"Organising or Marshalling on an event – an average score will be given, based upon all your scores and added at the year end. The average score figure will be rounded up if equal to or greater than n.5  For example: a score of 8.49 will be rounded down to 8 and a score of 8.5 will be rounded up to 9.  You will appreciate that this will create the situation where final scores will not be fully known until the last event has been completed".

As far as I know I've never got any points for marshalling over the last three years or so that I've done it.
Bovindon -three years
Essex winter - last year
Did or do you have to "claim them" or are should they have been added automatically ?
If I marshalled three or four events but never competed in any, then that means I won't get any points at all as I won't actually have an average score then 😳

1344 wrote:
As far as I know I've never got any points for marshalling over the last three years or so that I've done it.
Bovindon -three years
Essex winter - last year
Did or do you have to "claim them" or are should they have been added automatically ?
If I marshalled three or four events but never competed in any, then that means I won't get any points at all as I won't actually have an average score then 😳

Dave,

If you organise 4 or 5 events and marshal on the rest of them you might be able to win the points without even getting your car out of the garage!  ;D

Dave, the marshalling average points system I'm referring to is for the Rallies Mini-Series.  If you are registered for that series you will get the points automatically if I know about it.  However, I do believe that marshalling points for the other champs/challenge are being changed for this year along similar lines - Martin Randle can advise exactly how that will work with specific champs/challenge. And yes, you do have to claim them with Martin.

Steve - yes, almost! But doing it like that would give you 4 or 5 scores of zero, and the average of zero is....   What you really need to do is to win your 1st event and then marshal or organise on every one after that...  That would work!

sparky_spit wrote:

Steve - yes, almost! But doing it like that would give you 4 or 5 scores of zero, and the average of zero is....   What you really need to do is to win your 1st event and then marshal or organise on every one after that...  That would work!

Damn, Damn Damn, you are too clever by half. You have foiled my master plan.....

I was hoping no-one had worked it out.

:-)

sparky_spit wrote:

I don't wish to cause a row but if the above can,could or will happen then there's no point me entering any events as I know I'll never ever stand a chance of ever wining the series or more to the point I will always be bottom of the list going by my current results,even if I entered every event 😒.
Sorry If I appear to be a miserable git but it's how i see it, I don't mind being there just to make up the numbers but it would be nice to think that you stand some sort of chance of working your way up the table,but if you can can win the series by only compeating in one event and marshalling all the others what is the incentive 😳

1344 wrote:
I don't wish to cause a row but if the above can,could or will happen then there's no point me entering any events as I know I'll never ever stand a chance of ever wining the series or more to the point I will always be bottom of the list going by my current results,even if I entered every event

The nearest I ever came to fame and fortune (sadly not in a Triumph) was on one of the early Roger Albert Clark rallies. We won our class, got a slightly smaller cup than the overall winner (Blonqvist) . He was reputed to have spent around £500,000 on the event. We spent £495000 less. Did he have more fun than us? Unlikely.

Just get out there and have fun!

1344 wrote:

I don't wish to cause a row but if the above can,could or will happen then there's no point me entering any events as I know I'll never ever stand a chance of ever wining the series or more to the point I will always be bottom of the list going by my current results,even if I entered every event 😒.
Sorry If I appear to be a miserable git but it's how i see it, I don't mind being there just to make up the numbers but it would be nice to think that you stand some sort of chance of working your way up the table,but if you can can win the series by only compeating in one event and marshalling all the others what is the incentive 😳

Good point Dave,

Surely a 'competition' means that you 'compete'? I fail to see how points awarded for organising or marshalling can be classed as 'competing' or 'competition' points? Like you say, there doesn't seem to be much incentive for entering events if this is the case.

Hi Dave and Steve - my statement in the post above was a lighthearted reply to Steve's lighthearted reply to Dave's.  Yes, it is theoretically possible but I would be extremely surprised if anybody would go to the lengths suggested just to win the rallies mini-series.  Do you honestly believe somebody would bother doing that?

I don't, for a couple of reasons; people enter rallies to compete and perform to the best of their ability for the pleasure of doing so, not to win a cup at the end of the year by underhand methods.  Also, if someone is good enough to win an event or get a good placing, don't you think they'd want to carry on competing at that level of competence, rather than switch to marshalling all subsequent events just to get the points?

The new marshalling points system was introduced so as to not unfairly disadvantage those who regularly score well, when they marshal on events for normal reasons. And of course it does similar for those who do not normally score so well, by giving them an averaged score when they marshal.  It's designed to give somebody the same points for marshalling that they could reasonably expect to get had they competed. Nothing more than that.

Dave - given what I've said above, your chances of winning or moving up the table are still exactly the same - nothing has changed due the new marshalling points in this respect.

Steve - The mini-series is such that most of the events in it wouldn't exist without organisers or marshals and, as you know, most of the usual competitors volunteer to help out every now and again in this respect.  They are awarded points in the tables to compensate for not being able to compete.  I think this is fair.

sparky_spit wrote:

Dave - given what I've said above, your chances of winning or moving up the table are still exactly the same - nothing has changed due the new marshalling points in this respect.

Mike
       Glad to know my chances are bugger all then, given my record  ;D ;D ;D ??)

On another note, now I've got a proper job, we will have to sort out a days fishing some time !

• 3 weeks later...

Last Friday night's CMC March Hare only had one full CT crew competing (Michael Helm/Colin Wake) although Mark Rutter was also competing in the event in a Peugeot, with his daughter Rachel navigating. Considering it was Rachel's first attempt at navigating they did extremely well, finishing as 1st Beginner with 1 Fail and 11 Mins and not that far off winning outright.  The CT crew of Michael and Colin, in Michael's TR6,  fared less well in the Expert class finishing 4th Expert with 3 Fails 22 Mins.

The next event in the series is CT's Historic Counties Run on the 18th and 19th April.  If you have not got your entry in yet then do so quickly, you will not be disappointed; this is a very rewarding  event and one not to be missed.

Current positions (with correction to an earlier incorrect total figure for Michael Helm):

Michael Helm - 42pts
Colin Wake - 26+1Mpts
Mark Rutter - 16pts
Mike Bishop - 14+1Mpts
Darren Armitage - 14pts
Dale Barker - 12pts
Charlie Deards - 12pts
Mike Banks - +1Mpts
Matt Barker -0pts
Nigel Abdullha - 0pts
Ellis Stokes - 0pts

• 4 weeks later...

After last weekend's Historic Counties Run, reports of which are in the HCR thread, the current mini-series standings are:

Michael Helm - 42+1Mpts
Colin Wake - 32+1Mpts
Mark Rutter - 24pts
Mike Bishop - 20+1Mpts
Darren Armitage - 20pts
Dale Barker - 14pts
Charlie Deards - 12+1Mpts
Mike Banks - 6+1Mpts
Matt Barker -2pts
Ellis Stokes - +1Mpts
Nigel Abdullha - 0pts

The next event in the series is CT's Three Counties Rally on the 10th May, and there are still some places available. Entries and regs are in the last magazine, or downloadable from the forum thread.

• 4 weeks later...

The Club Triumph Three Counties Rally ran on Sunday 10th May and the full results will, I'm told, be available from Nigel very soon (he's just back from holiday).  I do have the placings however, so these are now incorporated into the mini-series standings and these are shown below:

Michael Helm - 58+1Mpts
Colin Wake - 48+1Mpts
Mark Rutter - 36pts
Mike Bishop - 34+1Mpts
Darren Armitage - 34pts
Charlie Deards - 22+1Mpts
Mike Banks - 18+1Mpts
Dale Barker - 14+1Mpts
Matt Barker -2pts
Ellis Stokes - +1Mpts
Nigel Abdullha - +1Mpts

The next event in the series is the Bedford Car Club's Summer Treasure Hunt on the 21st June; please use the contact details at http://www.bedfordcarclub.org.uk/calendar/calendar.htm  If anybody needs assistance in contacting Rod Botteley please let me know; I don't want to advertise his phone number here. These BCC treasure hunts are fun events, not too serious, and CT are always made very welcome.

• 2 months later...

Two more events have now run since I last posted, the Bedford CC Treasure Hunt and the CT Warks Scatter "Kings and Queens".  Reports from these can be found elsewhere; both on the forum and in July's edition of Club Torque, so I won't add them here. However, the placings table now looks like this:

Michael Helm - 72+1Mpts
Colin Wake - 62+1Mpts
Charlie Deards - 46+1Mpts
Dale Barker - 38+1Mpts
Mark Rutter - 36pts
Mike Bishop - 34+1Mpts
Darren Armitage - 34pts
Mike Banks - 18+1Mpts
Ellis Stokes - 16+2Mpts
Matt Barker -2pts
Nigel Abdullha - +1Mpts

There are no events in this series for August and September, so the next event that counts is either the CR Essex 12 Car Rally on the 18th Oct or the Chelmsford CC Halloween event on the 30th Oct. It is your choice which you want to be used for your points for that month, and of course you can do both and use the best result to go towards the mini-series table.

Two more events have now run since I last posted, the Bedford CC Treasure Hunt and the CT Warks Scatter "Kings and Queens".  Reports from these can be found elsewhere; both on the forum and in July's edition of Club Torque, so I won't add them here. However, the placings table now looks like this:

Michael Helm - 72+1Mpts
Colin Wake - 62+1Mpts
Charlie Deards - 46+1Mpts
Dale Barker - 38+1Mpts
Mark Rutter - 36pts
Mike Bishop - 34+1Mpts
Darren Armitage - 34pts
Mike Banks - 18+1Mpts
Ellis Stokes - 16+2Mpts
Matt Barker -2pts
Nigel Abdullha - +1Mpts

There are no events in this series for August and September, so the next event that counts is either the CR Essex 12 Car Rally on the 18th Oct or the Chelmsford CC Halloween event on the 30th Oct. It is your choice which you want to be used for your points for that month, and of course you can do both and use the best result to go towards the mini-series table.

• 3 months later...

The results from one of two events in October have now been added to the series table and standings now look like this:

Michael Helm - 86+1Mpts
Colin Wake - 76+1Mpts
Charlie Deards - 62+1Mpts
Mike Bishop - 48+1Mpts
Mark Rutter - 46pts
Darren Armitage - 46pts
Dale Barker - 44+1Mpts
Ellis Stokes - 32+2Mpts
Mike Banks - 18+2Mpts
Nigel Abdullha - 6+1Mpts
Matt Barker -2pts

Things are getting quite close, with just 2 events to go. We are now at 8 events, so any further results will mean dropping lower previous results. Also, it will be interesting to see the effect of the marshalling points which will be added at the year end, as these are calculated from the year's average event score.

Next event is the Chelmsford Motor Club's Mick Bliss Memorial Rally on 27th November.

• 1 month later...

The results from November's CMC Mick Bliss Memorial Rally have now been added to the CT mini-series - see below.  Michael Helm and Colin Wake were 3rd in their class (Expert) and, as no other CT members competed, gain another 12 points each to raise them even further above the others on the list.  Who enters the final round this coming weekend, and where they finish, will be decisive...

Current standings are:

Michael Helm - 98+1Mpts
Colin Wake - 88+1Mpts
Charlie Deards - 62+1Mpts
Mike Bishop - 48+1Mpts
Mark Rutter - 46pts
Darren Armitage - 46pts
Dale Barker - 44+1Mpts
Ellis Stokes - 32+2Mpts
Mike Banks - 18+2Mpts
Nigel Abdullha - 6+1Mpts
Matt Barker -2pts

Next event is the Bedford Car Club's Santa Special on Sunday evening, 13th December.  Those who are entering, please ensure you call Rod Bottingly at BCC beforehand. More details and some vital information at [Sorry, link no longer available]

On Sunday the final event that contributed to the CT Rallies Mini-Series was concluded with two CT crews competing. Charlie Deards and Ellis Stokes, in Charlie's 2500S estate were 2nd overall from a field of 6 and 1st CT.  Dale Barker and Nigel Abdullah in Dale's Herald were 3rd overall and 2nd CT. There were no other CT entrants and, after adding in the relevant "event averaged" marshalling points to the whole table, the final year's results look like this:

Michael Helm - 112pts
Colin Wake - 101pts
Charlie Deards - 91Mpts
Ellis Stokes - 80pts
Dale Barker - 68pts
Mike Bishop - 60pts
Darren Armitage - 46pts
Mark Rutter - 44pts (corrected for previous error)
Mike Banks - 36Mpts
Nigel Abdullha - 30pts
Matt Barker -2pts

Congratulations go to Michael Helm for his 1st place in the series, and also to Colin Wake and Charlie Deards for 2nd and 3rd places respectively.

Next year's full list of Mini-Series eligible events will be published as soon as possible. In the meantime, keep an eye on the Events Calendar where the January and February events are currently listed. [Sorry, link no longer available]