Some entrants are beginning to look in detail at the route and are finding a few points that need some explanation.

I had to force Google to take the route that I wanted to follow and in some cases it was quite a battle.  As a consequence there are a number of small anomalies on the route.  If you see something that is confusing at a detail level follow your own instincts.  There is no trickery in the route and anyway it is advisory. For example there is no significance to 99 Grimsby Road and you are not intended to go around in circles in Sleaford! There are 2 links to the Google route as I needed about 20 way points to create the route.  For a Google route you are only allowed 10 way points, so I needed to split the route in two.

My suggestion is that you create a Garmin / TomTom file from the way points on the spreadsheet.  That should be quite quick and simple.

Howard has offered to prepare a Garmin file for the route and is working on it.

C2C 2019 Garmin route is ready and just needs to be checked. I will get a copy converted to TomTom and but I will not be able to audit it so please check before you rely on it 😎.

Unfortunately Google has restricted their map products to the point where creating routes is almost impossible, so I have been looking for an alternative.

www.openstreetmap.org produce free maps that are generally better updated than Google but they do not produce route planning software. However have just found another site where it is possible to produce routes of up to 500 Km at a time:-

www.routeyou.com/en/route/planner/3/motorcycle-and-car-route-planner/motorcycle-route

which appears to be worth further investigation.

Cheers

Howard

The links for the Garmin and TomTom files are below.

2019 C2C Route Map

Garmin .GPX file

TomTom .OV2 file

TomTom .itn file

Please load them and check them before the rally since I used completely new software and hardware to prepare them (as a test run for the 10CR). If you have any problems, please PM me or Email me & I will do my best to assist.

While preparing these files, I discovered that the A43 will be closed with diversions in place and the sat nav should warn you as you approach. As far as I can work out the road closure should have ended before the C2C. The location is shown on the map.

Hope you all have a good run and hope to join in next year.

Quoted from Chriss-

Thank you very much Howard, I am sure that the entrants appreciate your effort.

Just crossing my fingers that the route didn't get corrupted with the Doha Manhole survey I am doing - it might take the entrants more than one night to get here and back 🤑

Matt,

I am testing a different program. Its called RouteConverter & is very similar to the powerful but frustrating Garmin BaseCamp. It uses OpenStreetMaps as its main map source, which I find are much more upto date than Google - here in Qatar roads are built and opened daily & google / garmin are useless by Open Street Maps are generally updated in 1 or  2 days. It can save in many different formats & allows zooming down to much larger scales than tyretotravel.

RouteConverter and the maps are Open Source so no problems about copyright.

In the past there have been a few issue converting from Ellis' TomTom files to Garmin as the co-ordinates are not exactly the same which is why I would appreciate it of you would check my file on your system.

I have been preparing SatNav routes for CT events for some years - initially unoffically, but more recently with official approval so I try to make sure they are correct :)

I attach some shots from the 2017 10CR route which I have resized but they give an idea of the resoloution 500ft. The were imported directly from my Garmin GPX file

Cheers

Howard

Chris

The original google map around Whitby appears to have been altered. The route now goes straight down A1 after Banards Castle and then heads due east to Scarborough instead of via Whitby.

Please see following maps and confirm which is correct.

Matt - suggest you review your route in Scarborough since according to Chris its intended to be a through route & not a loop through the centre which occurred due to problems with Google Maps. Also check just north of Northampton on the A43 as there is a short dog leg into a dead end.

Cheers

H

Chris

The original google map around Whitby appears to have been altered. The route now goes straight down A1 after Banards Castle and then heads due east to Scarborough instead of via Whitby.

Matt - suggest you review your route in Scarborough since according to Chris its intended to be a through route & not a loop through the centre which occurred due to problems with Google Maps. Also check just north of Northampton on the A43 as there is a short dog leg into a dead end.

Cheers

H

Howard Tyre uses open maps too to plot the course seems very similar to the program you are using, not sure if yours is free?

Anyway I have gone by the Google Maps on the Word doc emailed out but then altered the Whitby section, in my mind a drive by the East Coast seems better than the A1 even if it is pitch black!

I have attached the file you sent with my amendments but including Whitby.

Hi Howard

The top map is correct.  The roads to be followed from Barnard Castle are:

Miles     Duration   Time

6 Barnard Castle B6277, A67, A66, A67, A1044,A174, A171 31.6 0:50:00 22:46
7 Whitby A171 63.5 1:33:00 00:19
8 Scarborough A171  19.5 0:36:00 00:55

Do not go into Whitby.

Quoted from Howard-

Chris

Cheers

H

I did wonder why the importance of a Scarborough round trip...I though there was something nice to look at. I'll amend it.