Anyone declared MOT exempt at a Post Office yet?

sparky_spit

Just a tidy-up of my previous posts.

I had a look at GOV.UK to check what the site said about my MOT. Bit surprised to see what it had to say, given what the guy at the DVLA told me. So fired off an email to the DVLA. here is my query and their reply.

"My car, a 1971 Triumph GT6 YKN220J, was on SORN for a short while. When I recently taxed it without an MOT it went through with no 'button' to click on to declare it MOT exempt. I telephoned the DVLA and they confirmed that  it is taxed and that MOT is not required, exemption was done automatically. That must be correct otherwise it could not be taxed.

However, on checking the GOV.UK MOT History website today there is a large red banner stating that 'The vehicle's MOT has expired' adding that I can be liable to a £1000 fine. On the GOV.UK Vehicle Enquiry website it states 'MOT No Results Returned'.

Can you advise me when these two GOV.UK websites will be displaying accurate information and if ANPR have the correct information?"

The DVLA reply

"Dear Mr Cook,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.

Upon checking our records, I can confirm that this vehicle is currently MOT exempt.

I completely appreciate your concern in regards to the website stating the MOT is expired.

The website also states that this vehicle may be MOT exempt, for more information refer to MOT exemption guidance.

I can confirm that this is accurate information and will not be checking with ANPR.

I hope this helps."

So, I think that covers everything...the DVLA seem to have this under "work in progress".

I have just washed the GT6 (and the Dolomite) and am about to go out for a spin and if I have the time tonight will take it the CT Essex meet. 

Well to follow up on my posting 12 days ago where I left it that I had been able to tax Woodie, SCG (Mk1 PI estate) and NAM (very early Mk1 2000) on line with no issues at all and only took about a minute for each.

I was left with my ex-London-Sydney/Monte/World Cup Landcrab still requiring to be taxed which I could not do on line.  It was Rob Pearce who pointed out to me that it needs to be the log book cannot be on 'PLG' taxation class (which it was) and needs to be on 'Historic'.  I did try to see if I could tax the car once it had come off 'SORN' just to check but no luck - it was as Rob says.

Once London-Sydney50 was out of the way (a great success for those who did not come and missed the chance of meeting some 70 personalities from yesteryear) today I was able to get on with sorting NAM's vehicle licence

Downloaded form V112 from the DVLA website (I understand your local PO would be able to give you one if necessary), filled it in which only required car index number, name, signature and put 'R' in the box (to show over 40 years old-not substantially changed in last 30 years-not a PSV) and nipped down the road to the Post Office 5 minutes away.

Handed over my V112, old (PLG) log book from which they separated the back (changes) page, had a quick look at the V112 and said 'All OK' and they would send it off and I would get my new log book in 3 - 4 weeks.

For good measure I mentioned that I 'needed' to tax the car and the response was 'No problem we can do it now'.  A few more seconds tapping on the keyboard and I was presented with the receipt to show NAM was taxed!!!!!! 

From leaving home to getting back took precisely 15 minutes.

While it may seem bizarre that I have taxed three of my cars still under restoration the answer is simple - security.  It means that being on the DVLA system as being taxed in my name, should anyone nick the car and try to do register it in their name they cannot.

So I think I have covered all the options now to using the new DVLA system for taxing the car - on-line and Post Office and it could not be simpler - even if you need to 'upgrade' from PLG to 'Historic'.

MUT

Anything really Colin

As you say activity i case someone wants a number and tried to use it, or if nicked even with our dogs around, or anything.

Probably OTT but costs nothing.

So do I now tax a very interesting Mk2 number that I have in Log Book form .......... 😉

MUT

• 3 weeks later...

And another twist to the story.

When I changed the status of all my cars to Historic one was not taxed nor on my group insurance policy. 

A week later I checked its status to see what was recorded on the DVLA website ........ and found it had also been taxed as a matter of routine with out asking and no declarations apart from the standard one on the V112.  The same with the PI saloon log book I mentioned in the previous posting!!!!!

MUT

Quoted from sparky_spit-

Well that's good news then. It means that the FBHVC advice in the mag is out of dàte already.

It does raise the question of how a 40+ year old radically altered car owner declares it as such?

You do not need to declare anything. Just MOT and tax as normal car Just no tax payment.

Laurence

There is still a requirement when taxing an Historic to declare whether it is radically altered. 

If you indicate that it is radically altered you will be required to show MOT (not sure how because this has not come into my requirements) and pay the Road Fund Licence which I understand will be £225 under the new pricing system.

If because of this cost you indicate that it is not radically altered when it is and you get caught out, the basic penalty is five times the difference between what you have paid and what you should have paid (5 x £225 = £1125) plus all the back tax you have missed.  In the first year it will be £1350 increasing (at the present rate) but £225 more per year missed from last May.

In addition there are a couple of other issues, You could find your car allocated a Q plate, and also there is the risk your insurance will be invalid which means your car could be seized and crushed.

While for cars that fit within the rules, and from what we have discussed these are pretty wide (but primarily as I understand it don't fit an engine out of our date period plus 10 years).  If you go outside them and feel it worth the risk of not declaring it, if caught things could be serious for our car and expensive for you.

MUT

• 2 years later...

September 2020 - DISASTER!! - 'covid 19' or just incompetance?

My Spitfire 1500, registered 1st August 1980 should now be tax & test exempt. I received my tax reminder about three weeks before hand, and went to the post office to do the biz. She scanned the bar code on the V5c and said that it's not yet listed as tax / test free so come back just after the 1st of August. I went in again about 8th August and she said the same thing, all assuming that there's probably no-one currently home at DVLA, and suggested I send the V5c to DVLA myself (?!) which I did + form V112, and proof of posting.

I returned to the post office on 4th September, this time with a copy of the V5c, only to be palmed off again with same answer, so I took screen grabs of DVLA's web pages showing the vehicle's tax status (not taxed) + instructions to take it all to the post office, as I had done - all to no avail.

I am now totally stuffed, the car's MOT'd and insured but I'm unable to tax it. If I get pulled over I risk a heavy fine or even loosing the car.

So - is it the present situation or is she just bloody useless at her job?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

HELP!!!,

Dave

I might be wrong, but I think that your car will not become an Historic Vehicle until April 2021 and therefore will still need an MOT and paid road tax until that date.  Does your V5C currently show your car as an Historic Vehicle?

See the second sentence in this forum post, copied from the DLVA website  "The rolling system updates occur each April. For example, April 2016 sees all vehicles built prior to 1 January, 1976 eligible for Historic Vehicle car tax. This means all 1975-produced cars can be reclassified. April 2017 will see this change to all pre-1977 vehicles, and so on."

Quoted from Brit car fan-

September 2020 - DISASTER!! - 'covid 19' or just incompetance?

My Spitfire 1500, registered 1st August 1980 should now be tax & test exempt. I received my tax reminder about three weeks before hand, and went to the post office to do the biz. She scanned the bar code on the V5c and said that it's not yet listed as tax / test free so come back just after the 1st of August. I went in again about 8th August and she said the same thing, all assuming that there's probably no-one currently home at DVLA, and suggested I send the V5c to DVLA myself (?!) which I did + form V112, and proof of posting.

I returned to the post office on 4th September, this time with a copy of the V5c, only to be palmed off again with same answer, so I took screen grabs of DVLA's web pages showing the vehicle's tax status (not taxed) + instructions to take it all to the post office, as I had done - all to no avail.

I am now totally stuffed, the car's MOT'd and insured but I'm unable to tax it. If I get pulled over I risk a heavy fine or even loosing the car.

So - is it the present situation or is she just bloody useless at her job?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

HELP!!!,

Dave

My Spit 1500 is the same age March 1980. I understand it will be tax exempt after Jan 21. But will have to send the log book off to the dvlc. I taxed it this year which runs out in Jan and the MOT was extended 6 months because of vivid and that also runs out in Jan.

Danny

Thanks guys, I've taxed it in the usual way - £165, in the hope that I can claim any refund when it's due, or when (or if) the new V5c arrives - a bit disappointing - will see what transpires next year but at least I can drive it without having to look over my shoulder.

With thanks for your help and comments, Dave.