Decent Windscreen Washer Pump

Tim Bancroft

Just back from a trip to Porthmadog and the surrounding area. Took the TR6 to which I had fitted a new washer pump before leaving, it being a Smiths type thing. Anyway, it has failed. So rather than mess around trying to replace with another similar type, does anyone know of a modern equivalent that I could use. 

The drive home yesterday was comical, stopping every 30 mins to hand clean the screen.....

Snowdonia was gorgeous in the winter sunshine, just wish I could have seen more of it!

I don't know how long the aftermarket pump on my Vitesse has been there, because the PO fitted it. Which means it's at least 16 years.

The Spit has an eBay pump but that's not been on long enough to say whether it's reliable. I bought another like it and managed to destroy that one quite rapidly, by continuously pumping mildly corrosive chemicals, so it's not really a fair test.

If you're after an electric one I have fitted n no. of Pearl products units from the local motor factor, comically the part no is PEWP01, and had no grief with them to date unlike several other makes, some of which don't work straight out the box thereby helpfully saving a breakdown on the road like you suffered, and allowing the dud unit to be sent straight back to the supplier!

Quoted from Velocita Rosso-

I had a pump from a reputable discount motor outlet, on my Spit for 15 years and never failed. When rebuilding the Spit ,I had a dash supplied with all original gauges and switches and a good working push pump...........and it works just as good as an electric. Two pumps and it sprays all over.

Same here, the water-pistol pump on my Spitfire is more than adequate, plus it helps reduce electrical load on the dynamo :)

Quoted from PeteStupps-

I had a pump from a reputable discount motor outlet, on my Spit for 15 years and never failed. When rebuilding the Spit ,I had a dash supplied with all original gauges and switches and a good working push pump...........and it works just as good as an electric. Two pumps and it sprays all over.

Same here, the water-pistol pump on my Spitfire is more than adequate, plus it helps reduce electrical load on the dynamo :)

Now there`s a thing Tim......carry a water pistol! (however pedestrians may think they`ve gone back in time seeing Bodie or Doyle firing a t a windscreen)

Quoted from PeteStupps-

Is the water pistol one a more modern repro, do you know, as wondering if they are ok?.

Thanks, Dave