Well a month has almost passed and in that month I've driven my car once although it was a bit of a run. My dad did the RBRR with me this time and he's been bitten by the bug(bloody seats) ;D.He decided to sell his motorbike and buy a stag last weekend my mum said well its up to you, so he rang a couple of bike shops then took it down and sold it ! Now the search is on for a stag not anything immaculate funds are limited as always but something tidy and reliable .I think its the 10cr thats really got his interest. So if anyone knows of a car or can advise on what not to buy then all help gratefully received.Silly thing is on the friday morning of the RBRR he could hardly walk due to a bad back and the spit and pain killers cured it  or perhaps when you're that tired youre brain concentates youre energy elsewhere?
Thanks Alex

• 10 months later...

timbancroft61 wrote:
Just been watching 'Great Britsh Journeys' on BBC2, saw some of the RBRR roads we use in the Highlands: terrific stuff. Also the presenter used the Spar filling station at Tongue that many RBRR driver use.

Really heightened my anticipation for the great roads.

I watched that. The bloke from the Spar said something along the lines that the majority of the tourists to the area come racing through in their motor cars with little or no time to appreciate the place! Was he on about you Tim?

No that'll be the Notts lot!!

That little garage saved James C's bacon on his first RBRR, he was running on fumes when he came across that little garage in 04.

Spoke to Dave L last night, he is already getting revved up for next years events: HCR, LCC and RBRR.  

Must admit I am too.
HCR and LCC: Dreadnought
RBRR: GT6

RBRR: 368 days!

You are probably snoozing after over indulgence at brekkie time!
Looking at my roadbook, I see I must have been off route in 04, as we should not have gone near Tongue!!!! Should have whizzed down the B873 to Syre!!

Do the Scots appreciate the quality of the roads in the Highlands?

Also why did that presenter keep banging on about the poor road surfaces in the Highlands. The A9 from Perth to Inverness has got one of the best road surfaces in the UK. The B873 and A836 are very well surfaced, nice constant crown to the road to ensure water drainage and good even texture on the surface dressed road.

timbancroft61 wrote:
That little garage saved James C's bacon on his first RBRR, he was running on fumes when he came across that little garage in 04.

Nope - saved by Ashley in the Acclaim with a spare gallon in a jerry can...!

timbancroft61 wrote:

Roads are interesting though, simple technology!

I have in my hands a photocopy of the 1824 edition of "Remarks on the present system of road making; with observations, deduced from practice and experience, with a view to a revision of the existing laws, and the introduction of improvement in the method of making, repairing, and preserving roads, and defending the road funds from misapplication." By John Loudon McAdam, Esq.

Yes ... the 8th edition!  :) :'(
Seminal stuff.

Caught the end of "Great British Journeys" the other night and have now joined a group on Yahoo to find out more about the author H V Morton who drove those roads in a Morris Bullnose back in the late 1920's and early 1930's.

Some of the roads he used have disappeared as the old military roads were uneconomic to repair, however, they do still exist although I wouldn't want to take a classic car over them nowadays.

I've bought one of the books on Ebay that the programme used as the basis for the journey so that I can plot the route Morton took.

I'll maybe sell the Audi and get hold of a four wheel drive so that I can go breenging around the Highlands with only deer for company.

And yes, Tim, we Scots do appreciate the Highland roads.

McJim.

Archived