Spitfire 1500 Difficult Start & High Reving

Chambers

I've finally got the Spitfire started again, but to get it to start I need to have full choke and also use a touch of Easi-start, this allows it to fire and tick over but it revs terribly high and goes mental.

If I take the choke all off the engine immediately dies. More throttle with the choke out just makes the engine rev higher

I'm hoping to get it started so that I can then set the timing correctly etc.  Currently the carb's are set to 12 flats out which I read was somewhere near for a good start.

Any help to this high reving would be appriciated

At this time of year you should expect to need full choke to start it, and you shouldn't even contemplate pushing it straight all the way in.

So if your problem is simply that the (cold) idle speed is too high (and what exactly do you mean by "terribly high", never mind "goes mental"?) then it's probably one of the idle setting screws misadjusted. There are three - a base (hot) idle screw on each carb, against which the main throttle rests, and a fast idle screw on the throttle shaft that rests on a cam on the choke shaft. With choke out, that last one should be controlling things, so back it off a couple of flats.

Another possibility, though, is that you have an air leak. Have the carbs or manifold been off? If so, did the gaskets go back on right and get tightened properly? (Leaks past gaskets tend to be accompanied by a whistling noise but not always)

Thanks, I thought it was terribly high but I think that's more because I'm in the garage. There is no whistle but and air leak did cross my mind. The gaskets are all back (new) however they were put on dry. Do you suggest any sort of sealant with them?

What is the best way to test for an air leak?

Also do you think the fact its currently only going with a tiny bit of easy start is just it being stubborn due to the temperature and being stood? It has new fuel.

As I mentioned it does run once it gets going so I was thinking it might just be being stubborn more than anything