I have used a CB radio on most of the previous runs quite a few other cars also use them. its very handy when traveling in small groups ( not to spread out as range varies)  only the lead cars navigator needs to be awake as the cars behind can receive instructions while their co-drivers can rest especially handy on the long night runs.
Talking to other drivers while your co drivers are unconscious is also great for keeping awake.
Also it’s a right laugh telling rubbish jokes, badly using all the CB  lingo like "have you got your ears on good buddy "
In a Roscoe P Coletrain accent. Etc  also you can meet other people around the country who are even madder than the RBRR runners.
On a recent rig check a guy asked if I was a regular CB user I said not for about 14 years to which he replied "you have not missed much"
Also can be used for the odd wind up such as YOUR CARS ON FIRE. Be careful on who and how often you try these out!

Conclusion Highly recommended buy or borrow one or try a boot sale.   
  ;D ;D :o

;D I'm not bitter, I just enjoy trying to wind James up . . .

Don't worry, me and my V8 Spitty (which will hopefully be finished by then) will definately be doing the 10CR next year. If only I could remember my username and password to log in to the 'additional info for members' bit . . .  ??)

Chris.

James, I have one you can borrow if you like...  I bought two last year with a view that one would be going in the Spitfire - but as that isn't on the road yet ::), I dare say you can borrow it for the run. I'll have a CB in my car, so we can at least have a natter !!! ;D

10-4, 10-4, Mr Nutter... that would be most groovy...! 10-3...

Quote:

10-1 = Receiving poorly
10-2 = Receiving well
10-3 = Stop transmitting
10-4 = Message received
10-5 = Relay message to _____
10-6 = Busy, please stand by
10-7 = Out of service, leaving the air
10-8 = In service, subject to call
10-9 = Repeat message
10-10 = Transmission completed, standing by
10-11 = Talking too rapidly
10-12 = Visitors present
10-13 = Advise Weather/Road conditions
10-16 = Make pick up at _____
10-17 = Urgent business
10-18 = Anything for us?
10-19 = Nothing for you, return to base
10-20 = My location is _____
10-21 = Call by telephone
10-22 = Report in person to
10-23 = Stand by
10-24 = Completed last assignment
10-25 = Can you contact _____
10-26 = Disregard last information
10-27 = I am moving to channel _____
10-28 = Identify your station
10-29 = Time is up for contact
10-30 = Does not conform to FCC rules
10-32 = I will give you a radio check
10-33 = Emergency Traffic
10-34 = Trouble at this station
10-35 = Confidential information
10-36 = Correct time is
10-37 = Wrecker needed at
10-38 = Ambulance needed at
10-39 = Your message delivered
10-41 = Please turn to channel
10-42 = Traffic accident at
10-43 = Traffic tie up at
10-44 = I have a message for you
10-45 = All units within range please report
10-50 = Break channel
10-60 = What is next message number?
10-62 = Unable to copy, use phone
10-63 = Net directed to
10-64 = Net clear
10-65 = Awaiting your next message/assignment
10-67 = All units comply
10-70 = Fire at _____
10-71 = Proceed with transmission in sequence
10-77 = Negative contact
10-81 = Reserve hotel room for ______
10-82 = Reserve room for _____
10-84 = My telephone number is ______
10-85 = My address is _____
10-91 = Talk closer to the microphone
10-93 = Check my frequency on this channel
10-94 = Please give me a long count (1-10)
10-99 = Mission completed, all units secure
10-200 = Police needed at _____

Oh that brings back memories.

Yes I was the Clockwork Orange - a wee Vermillion Mini Clubman that went around winding people up all day with all the CB patter mainly because we had nothing better to do.

Sounds sad now but back in the early eighties with AM sets rather than the FM equipment to be used now, it was great fun.

However, I do remember that the range was not too great and in mountainous areas, it was even less.  Thank God for mobile phones.

So. you may have to be fairly bunched up to keep in touch but at least it'll keep you awake if it works.

Just remember that wiring up the sets and connecting an aerial is not enough.  The aerial has to be adjusted or SWR'ed as I recall to prevent damage to the set.  So ask someone in the know.

One thing, all the lorries and vehicles at my work have two way radios but the drivers also have their own personal mobile phones.  The strange thing is, that they can be prosecuted if they use a mobile phone while driving but the two way radios are exempt from this legislation.  However, if you have an accident while using a two way radio or CB, then the Law will take a dim view of this.

So have fun on the RBRR and ....

"10-10 till we do it again.  This is the Orange.  Down and gone."

19 for a roger. What's my numbers. You're banging the box (nothing rude! just getting a strong signal!) You can't afford to be square-wheeled on the run!

That brought some memories back for me. I dabbled with CB in the early 1990s. I've still got my rig somewhere. A Fidelity 1000 the worst bleed-over box money can buy and yes it's an FM rig. My SWR meter is now behind of one of my loudspeakers! Rotel and Uniden were the best rigs. I'll have to have a look on eBay now!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

This all sounds very interesting.
A Load of Triumphs driving round the country with thier CB radios...
As Someone said very "Dukes Style" (Of Which Im Watching Now :)  ) Sounds fun though!
Have codenames and a little lingo..hehe

Ahh well, Randomness Over :)

Cal

My brother was a huge CB fan. He used to bring the radio out of his Mini traveller, and into his bedroom at night, and connect it up to a car battery and the huge mast he had attached to the roof, so that he could "DX" (long-distance CB). His handle was "Charlie Brown", and mine was "Woodstock"...

Maybe we could do a fox-hunt somewhere on the RBRR? (this is where one person, the "fox", hides in their car, with the mic key open, and everyone else tries to divine their location by driving round and determining how close they are by the signal strength!)

My brother was a huge CB fan. He used to bring the radio out of his Mini traveller, and into his bedroom at night, and connect it up to a car battery and the huge mast he had attached to the roof, so that he could "DX" (long-distance CB). His handle was "Charlie Brown", and mine was "Woodstock"...

Maybe we could do a fox-hunt somewhere on the RBRR? (this is where one person, the "fox", hides in their car, with the mic key open, and everyone else tries to divine their location by driving round and determining how close they are by the signal strength!)

Archived