Steveg1974

I have a 1971 Mk4 Spitfire with a 1296cc engine (just found out its a Toledo engine...DG engine code).  I currently have normal ignition that is causing issues. Everything is new but the vacuum advance isn't working and have been told that converting to electronic ignition will solve everything and run 10x better,

Can someone please advise on what to buy as getting confused. Possibly send links or picture on what to buy. I can find Accuspark kits and also complete distributor kits. I am unsure what distributor i have installed as cant find what make it is, as doesn't have any markings on, unsure if its a Delco or Lucas.  

Many Thanks 

Quoted from Steveg1974-

I currently have normal ignition that is causing issues. Everything is new but the vacuum advance isn't working and have been told that converting to electronic ignition will solve everything and run 10x better,

I think the person who told you that was probably an electronic ignition salesman with no morals. Or just an ignorant fool.

If the problem is the vacuum advance not working then an Accuspark / Lumenition / etc. will make absolutely no difference. At all. Zilch. Nada. Total waste of money. The "complete distributor" kit such as a 123 might help but it's massively unnecessary overkill. Why spend hundreds of pounds on something you don't need when it's probably a fifty pence part that's failed? OK, maybe a ten pound part but you get my point.

How do you know the vacuum advance isn't working? What are the symptoms you're getting? For normal driving, a failed vacuum advance will be hardly noticeable.

You really need to get the vacuum advance working and that shouldnt be too difficult as its a simple system. You can run without it as its there to improve fuel economy when cruising but electronic ignition wont replace this function.

Your car can run perfectly with its original set up - replacing it will definitely mean lower maintainance however the other possible benefit of better running is arguable.

The first choice is whether you want the unit completely hidden in the distributor or are happy to have a box mounted elsewhere. Also you can use the original points as the trigger or have a sensor with new trigger although if you want the first type it will have to have an external box.

The complete distributor kits use an internally mounted unit and really only make sense if your existing one is worn out. Mine was ok so I have an Accuspark installed in it and have had no problems.