;) Having just had Sunday lunch and polished off a bottle of wine  an idea has just popped into my mind.

If the entry for the 2004 Round Britain Run opens this month then it can only be 12 months before an official Club Triumph 10CR opens up entries for the 2005 run. Thought number 2 was - that means we would need a pretty much sorted event by then, which means thinking about all the organisation PDQ. Gulp  :o

Mrs Raider then suggested a route incorporating Slovenia, the Czech republic and Slovakia amongst others OMG! :o

So, I am about to start looking at possible alternatives. Do we need to do the same countries again or can the event change each time I wonder? ??)

Well if you renamed it the Round Europe Reliability Run then it could go anywhere in Europe - and I think that could be excellent. I'm up for helping in a spot of planning but be warned that all "incidents" that befell Team Stretch were my fault - apart from the driving down the rong side of the road wondering why a French pedestrian was waving madly at us!
Now where can we go, let's get Autoroute out!

Hmm - yes you have a good point there. That journo we met up with in Nice said we should contact Prince Rainier of Monaco and so the overnight stop there as they would make a fuss.  Now that would be niceer than Nice - especially if we have lots of cars!

One thing that may make life easier by 2005 is the change in credit cards....  As far as I know, the UK is going to do the smart chip / PIN system soon. If that is the case, we should be able to use them, as long as we have some instructions.

I might do some investigation as to the roll out timescales... 

The paper was the Riviera Gazette - an English paper for ex-pats, it was a little freebee paper but with a weeksly cirulation of about 10,000 copies. The article appears on the Can;ey Classics site, on the "in print" page.
The paper was in the process of being taken over last I heard but I have an email address for the journo but there's also a useful ex-pats messageboard I can use to make some contacts.
Graham - send me your address and I'll send you a present ;)

Posted on behalf of that solo hero - Don Cook

Quote:
Martin, if you're consider expanding/changing the route you might want to consider, in part, what I did last May. From Calais I drove up through (start counting the countries) France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden. Up to this point you have crossed two massive bridges (not cheap) to get to Sweden (Malmo) from there we travelled to Ystad and an overnight ferry to Poland, this was excellent and very cheap (still counting countries?). We returned to Calais via Germany (Berlin).

However, given that Poland is only up the road from Czech Rep, Slovakia and Slovenia it could add a fair bit to the run. Think about the number of 'Seas': North, Baltic, Adriatic and Med. You would need to add an additional day I think; Friday.

So you could do overnight ferry from Harwich to Hoek Holland on Thursday night, all day Friday driving to Ystad to get late ferry to arrive Poland Sat morning. Sat night at the Adriatic (probably another night in accommodation) then long haul back, taking in the Dolomites, and driving overnight on a similar route to 10CR.

Well anyway just a thought!

...and in 2007 ferry to Santander, over the Pyrenees...where's Odessa?

Don

Posted on behalf of that solo hero - Don Cook

Quote:
Martin, if you're consider expanding/changing the route you might want to consider, in part, what I did last May. From Calais I drove up through (start counting the countries) France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden. Up to this point you have crossed two massive bridges (not cheap) to get to Sweden (Malmo) from there we travelled to Ystad and an overnight ferry to Poland, this was excellent and very cheap (still counting countries?). We returned to Calais via Germany (Berlin).

However, given that Poland is only up the road from Czech Rep, Slovakia and Slovenia it could add a fair bit to the run. Think about the number of 'Seas': North, Baltic, Adriatic and Med. You would need to add an additional day I think; Friday.

So you could do overnight ferry from Harwich to Hoek Holland on Thursday night, all day Friday driving to Ystad to get late ferry to arrive Poland Sat morning. Sat night at the Adriatic (probably another night in accommodation) then long haul back, taking in the Dolomites, and driving overnight on a similar route to 10CR.

Well anyway just a thought!

...and in 2007 ferry to Santander, over the Pyrenees...where's Odessa?

Don

Quote:
I'm up for helping out ... better not get too involved tho' as i might be moving to the US before that time - i'd certainly come back for the event tho!

Graham,  thanks for the offer. I think I will just gather info and ideas for the moment and then look at putting together a plan after Xmas.

Going to the USA?  I am getting involved in a TR7 forum that has some members in the states and they have just started to ask me about the 10CR!  Maybe we could have a USA version. 8)  8)

There's a guy I know in the US with a TR7 Spider and a Mk1 2000 Saloon who's just completed a RBRR inspired run for charity in the US. It was a bit lightweight with hotel stops and stuff but the thought was there! Whereabouts are you (possibly) heading Grahaom? The guy above, Blake Discher [mail]bdischer@blakedischer.com[/mail] is in Detroit, Michigan
He was going to come over and crew one of the Plymouth-Dakar Heralds but his wife fell pregnant and duty got the better of him  ::)

I once had a crazy plan to take a Triumph across America - the RoRo costs are a bit of a killer though - now if we could get a couple of containers sorted ..........

We thought of that but we might spend most of the time sourcing and fixing up a car rather than driving it - also the original plan was to fill it with spares and tools etc but them we found out that Roro companies insist the car is totally empty. A container full of spares and cars would be good, especially if we could maybe pre-sell them to help fund the trip - of course you then get into Customs duty and it all gets terribly dull.
Borrow a car - yeah like I'd lend some randon Yank my car do two RBRRs back to back - I think not, well not unless he was a thoroughly sound bloke - like me! ;D

Quote:
whats the link to the forum you've joined? because there's a new member on our forum called "lumpy speedos"..................

God this thing is going to follow you to your grave.....

Here is the link to the forum - nearly 100 TR7 owners - www.forum.triumphtr7.com

Guess what - just started a thread there on the 10CR - they don't know what they are letting themselves in for! ;D ;D

What forum are you referring to - I am and always will be Raider - some people have seen my whip  :o

[quote by=Raider link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,v=display,m=1067782037,s=12 date=1067968174] ??) Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy one there?

or blag a ride in a friendly American's Triumph? 8)[/quote]

Neighbours who tried to bring their car back to England reckoned it was £5k! Which is about what my GT is worth! Maybe i could try the gun trick the media are getting excited about and post all the bits over and then rebuild it!!!
Anyways if/when i do go i'd be two 'blocks' (NOT chocks) from the beach just south of LA and the salt probably wouldn't do it much good  :D

I looked into Roro shipping and it was about £1000 to the East coast and about £3000 from the West coast back to the UK. Containers are more but are secure and as it's "your" container you can, within reason, put what you like in there.
I don't think sea salt will be a problem in Cali - the sunshine will
Hope you get to live there, I think it would be a great experience but you would need a Triumph!

• 3 months later...

I think I may have a route in principle. ;)

It will include the challenging drive in the Bar sur Arbe area  ::), Switzerland in daylight  :), Gap and those great roads ;D, Monte carlo, overnight in Menton :), a swim in the Med :o, the great roads to Sospel etc, more of the Med coast in Italy, :), a meal at Lesa again ;), the Stelvio  :o :o :o, Feldkirk etc, and then - and then -

a trip to the Nurburgring ;D ;D ;D

Followed by Holland to make 10 countries (having ditched Luxembourg).

Now, we may need to have optional routes after Lesa because the route I have outlined will be challenging with no room for "fannying about". ;D ;D ;D

I did the Stelvio many years ago in my 1500TC which used to slip out of 2nd.  Luckily I went up from the Austrian side - 40 plus hairpins - not so bad going down the Italian side.  Its the 3rd highest pass in Europe after 2 minor French Alpine roads.

[quote by=Johanne link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,v=display,m=1067782037,s=21 date=1077473045]Its the 3rd highest pass in Europe after 2 minor French Alpine roads.[/quote]

hmmm, i think some of us might know one of those minor French Alpine roads!

Archived