Sunday overnight

Raider

I have had a mail from the "Wine Collection" saying they are closing down.

I am trying to check this out but if that is the case we may wish/need to change the overnight location for the Sunday.

Didn't someone mention somwhere else - Lille? Liege? 

If anyone can remember please let me know.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruges is a beautiful old town.  They produce the special beer "Straffe Hendrik" Not sure if Bruges is any good for camping. 

Btw, I'm happy to sort out a campingsite in Belgium for the last overnight. Communication will be a lot easier as I speak Dutch. 

Sniff. nobody loves me........

[quote by=v8dean link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,v=display,m=1067782037,s=30 date=1096391883]Well if  the social stop is going to be in Belgium( which i would welcome), I'm sure that i have a good location in mind which would suit all drivers.
meaning a choice of camping/budget rooms/hotel. My spare room would also be available ,but i dont know who'd want that...........[/quote]

Am i looking into this again now?

Dean.

[quote by=v8dean link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,v=display,m=1110130860,s=4 date=1110144681]Sniff. nobody loves me........

Am i looking into this again now?

Dean.[/quote]

That would be awfully decent of you Dean - just in case it's needed.

The "Wine collection" have not replied to my e-mail or a phone call. :'(

Are we now on for the Bruges stop, Mr.R?

can someone let me have some possible numbers for the tent/chalet/hotel types. In know that burnerboy is setting up the friday night reservations. He must have some sort of idea. i'll need the same.

Dean.

I'll let you know in a few days Dean.

In the meantime, anyone else got a view on this? Bruges is about an hour from Calais and I am not sure about the shopping bit.  Calais is obviously where the ferry is so less concerns on the Monday morning and there's lots of supermarkets etc for the necessary supplies.

Then again, near Bruges is Jabekke where the TR2 set a speed record and i believe the TR register had the co-operation of the local towns people when they organised a commemoratuve run there.

Campsite.
There is a campsite on the outskirts of Bruges. I've never been in but i could check it out. Its right on the motorway for a quick exit. An easy hour and a half cruise to the ferry.
On the Belgium/French border just off the motorway, is a village called Aduinkerke which caters for booze/tabacco crazed brits. And failing that i'm sure that the Calais boozermarkets will be open for us.

Dean.

I'm with James and Tim on this. If we take the Spit there wouldn't be much room to stock up anyway. I'd be better to go across on the train with the modern hatchback at some other time to make full use of the cheap prices. However i'll go with the majority so that we all stay in the same place.

As you can see from my last post, the refreshment stop can be used by those that want it, and those that dont just drive right on by. (or should that be 'driving on by on the right'? whatever)

The Bruges stop over is just to have a nice place to lay up for the night. Bruges by night is quite nice, and easily accessible from the campsite (5 mins in the car).

The original place i had in mind is about 15 mins away from the campsite above. Its a not working farmhouse surrounded by fields one of which is used as a carpark. It has 4 family rooms each with 4 beds.  They dont normally have people camping but i was going to ask anyway, and if not i would've found places for us all anyway locally.
They do a whopping BBQ for very little money and they charge slightly less than normal prices for beer. In the tourist areas in Bruges you'll pay double than the farmhouse.
Since it was last discussed (in september) i haven't been over there and have no idea if the rooms are available.

If i get the chance i'll check out both possibilities.

Dean.

Dean, that sounds great.

There will be alot of people wanting to stay over so we'll need some other options in the vicinity too ;)

Please link up with GtRoger to share the load - he did volunteer you know (see further up this thread)  ;D

http://www6.mappy.com/sidS/CjzUrd2ZDMn21w/CFGMA?csl=m1&fsl=m1&gsl=m1&msl=m1&xsl=1&out=2&wnm1=bergdal+49&wcm1=&nom1=&tnm1=hooglede&tcm1=&a10m1=&pcm1=8830&ccm1=56&x=18&y=9
this link doesn't bloody work!

http://groups.msn.com/TheMartinsandtheirtoys/shoebox.msnw

All you need to know.

Dean.

Dean, that link doesn't work, but I recon you live in Hooglede.  :)  Which is very close to the French border and the opposite side of Belgium from were I live. I'm in Holland next to the Belgium border, very close to Genk.  Anyway, I'm willing to help arranging the overnight stay in Belgium.

Indeed so Roger.
I have got something completely different keeping my attention at the moment. I'm an organizer and a competitor
http://users.telenet.be/holderdebolderzeepkistrace
and then there's a sking holiday and my daughters communion keeping me busy and the diy, and the dog, and soon the bloody garden too!
Bhah  :-/

OK - Sunday overnight moved to Bruges.

To give an idea of numbers and accomodation requirements, here is the list we put together for Ventimiglia.

Same as last time tho Dean - everyone is responsible for booking their own stuff in reality but any help you can give in finding the right kind of places would be much appreciated.

Will you be OK with the locals though if they find out ;D

Damn
i wish i'd read this earlier today. its a bit late to chase things up tonight.
Ok got the xls file and will get onto the planning.
Are we all going to be expecting an evening out in Bruges?
Or are there those that probably wont bother?
Speak up please.

Dean.

Gentlemen,

i am busily planning our assault on the 10CR.  we set out from Galway in the West of Ireland.  Irish ferries can only bring me to Roscoff  or Cherbourg.  ideally we would like to start from the plough, but this would be expensive and add alot of mileage to the trip.

i hope to join you all in the north of france, what is the planned route and estimated times etc from Calais?  what is the suggested route from Calais thru france?

i will be hoping to count ireland as my first countyry and avoid the expense of heading thru engerland

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maglocks & "Mad Leahy"
West of Ireland 8) :o

Hi MaGlocks  ;)

We have put in a "Continental start" which is at Steenvoorde - actually it's at the saint-Eloi service area which you can see just to the north of the town on the map - see link

http://www3.mappy.com/sidLL0N0jskce/Mn21w/CFGMA?csl=m1&fsl=m1&gsl=m1&msl=m1&xsl=1&out=2&wnm1=&wcm1=&nom1=&tnm1=Steenvoorde&tcm1=&a10m1=&pcm1=&ccm1=250&x=15&y=10

We'll be there at  20.20 (hopefully) on the Thursday night (8th) if we are on time. There'll be an entry from Holland  there in a TR7 and I'll hand out your maps, roadbook, car stickers etc then.

As regards the exact route and timing - it's a secret! :D :D All part of the mystique of the event but if you check out the website you'll find a good general guide.

Please get your entry in as soon as you can - I am marking all the maps up myself and as it's a case of 3 road atlases per car I don't want a huge number to do at the last minute :'(

Look forward to seeing your entry ;)

Archived