[quote by=GT6_Don link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,v=display,m=1088289905,s=22 date=1102366749]You must be pleased Graham. It probably means your 'Worksalike' is now worth a couple of hundred...at least![/quote]

Are you suggesting that the worksalike has depreciated by £70 pounds in the 14 months it's been in our possession Don? That's scandalous

At least it has a real car's name
:P

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=andythompson link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,v=display,m=1088289905,s=24 date=1102377251]I added up everything I had done to my 2.5 rally Mk1 for insurance purposes and it came to about 8000... and that was over 4-5 years... now I did most of the work myself ... the 15000 has got to be mostly cost of professional UK labour....

Besides that mk1 doesn't have proper minilites or a proper period engine... ie webers or injection... they have got to be kidding[/quote]

Can't night rally on webers due to MSA restrictions, so maybe that's the excuse?
Or maybe it would have put the price up ... say another 5 grand?

;D

[quote by=MWG445 link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,v=display,m=1088289905,s=23 date=1102374549]Does someone know who built it and why?

There has to be a good story behind this car.[/quote]

Unfortunately I believe it was probably done by Sherwoods themselves, purely to sell as they do have a decent workshop. See the TR3a they did in the Classic Cars mag this month ... estimated £75-80k!

I think I may have seen a wreck of a saloon in their car park a while ago (maybe 1 year) but it was hardly able to stand on its own suspension.

Obviously they saw the 'worksalike' and decided that they would try and emulate perfection

::)

Latest update on the worksalike is that it now has TR6 wheels to replace the other two sets of dodgy 13 inchers.  They could well be wearing snow chains in the Pyrenees in a few weeks time!

The ciaro taxi didnt come close to 15k but I know Nibblets MK1 cost him 25K at TR enterprises,but they did a lovely job and it did well on the run to the Nile (3rd) I think?

Its the same old you get what you pay for! and labour is not cheap in the UK, I reckon I need to spend at least 40HRS on the Taxi of my time to finish it how I want  that would be £1k labour in a reasonable workshop

If you break down the cost of some of the parts I would reckon I could have spent 15k if I hadnt spent years collecting decent second hand parts
I paid £120 for my first set of triple webers with manifolds,and about £60 a carb re-building them,rejetting etc,new would have been £1k with linkages etc etc

I guess if you just walk in off the street with a fat wad of cash and say "Make me one of those" then you'll soon have a nice motor and a lightened wallet - I can dream :-) Even if I had a fat wad of cash I;d still need to be part of the build/resto - you do need to put a little of yourself into a car, with me it's usually the skin and blood of skinned knuckles  :'(

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived