• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raider,

Are you thinking of doing some skiing as well, the 10CR is gonna be pretty sporty, Swimming and skiing!

Really looking forward to doing the Stelvio, excellent idea to incorporate this pass into the route!

Also like the idea of camping for the overnight in the south of France.

Tim

Hmm, not too sure about camping - I think I like to idea of being able to crash in a cheap bed for the night, at least you can get a sh*t, shower and a shave with some shut-eye all within stumbling distance with limited brain function - I know I was knackered in Nice, albeit after a noght out and few beers. Plus camping would be out of town and therefore away from the nightlife so could make those few beers too challenging? 
Having said that there is much cheapness in camping :-) Lggage space could be a challenge if we were taking camping kit too - depends on what your weapon of choice is - and no we're not taking the Stretch again, it's in dignified retirement! 8)

Spare engine! Pah - you need the patented Stretch spares package - some tape, a single spark plug, a water pump and a gasket - that was it :-) We gave the pump and gaskets to Andy, should have given him the spark plug too but we felt we had to keep someting in the boot!

• 5 months later...

Hmmm, just take a 2000 and "you'll be reet". Took the worksalike out on some 'unpassable' roads in Lincs. last winter with some 4x4s and they had to pull over to let us past! Also overtook a snowplough ... shortly before going into a ditch after hitting a bonnet high bank of snow. Handy Land Rover's pulled us back out though. Lost a door mirror, and didn't do the clutch much good either, but well worth the fun! A whole different type of 'white' road experience, McJim!

Ahh, Sherwood Restorations! The back road route from where I lived in Nottingham to home in Lincolnshire used to take me past that place (just outside Southwell), and I often popped in to look at the cars they had. Some absolute minters, TR2s, 3s, 4s, E-types, rare cars and often ones with a little interesting history, a little porsche single seater. As for the prices ... hmmm, a purple mkiv Spitfire I saw once for a princely £8k!

On the Taxi front, I got my photos back from the rally ... for what they were worth. I shan't be buying a Tesco Value disposable camera again!

I have to wonder, who builds a Mk 1 2000 as a rally car supposedly worth £15,000?

I mean, what events were they planning on doing with it?

You don't tend to see them on Le Jog or the Winter Challenge, at least not in any of the magazines that I've read and they never feature in the results of these events.

I've seen a couple entered in the Monte Carlo Historique, the only true Monte Carlo Rally for classic cars, since it's run by the Automobile Club de Monaco.  None, though, have covered themselves in glory.

It must have been someone with a great love of the cars to spend that amount of money and put that amount of dedication into producing, what is, a very beautiful car.

Does someone know who built it and why?

There has to be a good story behind this car.

I added up everything I had done to my 2.5 rally Mk1 for insurance purposes and it came to about 8000... and that was over 4-5 years... now I did most of the work myself ... the 15000 has got to be mostly cost of professional UK labour....

Besides that mk1 doesn't have proper minilites or a proper period engine... ie webers or injection... they have got to be kidding

Archived