Almost a disaster :o

A new contact I have made in the Italian Spitfire Register has advised me there has been a landslide on the Stelvio! :'(  Not only that, at the moment it is only passable at certain times of the day whilst repair work is carried out :-/.

Luckily it seems we will be there when it is open ;) and Matteo reckons it's supposed to be fully open on the 8th ;)

Matteo is keeping a close eye on things for us tho and will advsie if anything changes - we should see him at lesa if he doesn't have to get his grape harvest in :o

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apropos of nothing, I've just realised why I like this website.
It's "powered by e-blah" and all the new message emails come frm "e-blah.com"
Try saying that with a cod Yorkshire accent.

John
(You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but not much)

Jason, I'm interested in that last Kas Kastner copy !! Would be nice if you could bring it over to Steenvoorde (or Ventimiglia etc etc etc...)  What's £20 in ¤ ???  ::)

back to Stelvio.  It don't think it will be HOT up there when we arrive. Sun is down and temperatures will drop. Today wasn't really warm as you can check from the weatherstation.

http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?METEO

Quite sure all drivers will be HOT after doing 48 hairpins....

Sorry guys, but the wife is taking (dragging) me off to Proms in the Park on Saturday to raise my cultural awareness, so I won't be able to capture the webcam pictures. :'(

If anyone else wants to have a go, they can be found at

http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?PASSOEST

They refresh every 15 minutes on the hour, quarter past, half past and quarter to but take up to 10 minutes for the website to update them.

Right now, I'm doing a traditional Scottish Country Rain Dance for Saturday, so I can stay at home.

But wait a minute.  This is Scotland - it's bound to be raining.  Fingers crossed. ;)

McJim.

[quote by=Raider link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1088289905,s=125 date=1125929805]Almost a disaster :o

Luckily it seems we will be there when it is open ;) and Matteo reckons it's supposed to be fully open on the 8th ;)

Matteo is keeping a close eye on things for us tho and will advsie if anything changes -in :o[/quote]

Hello from Italy,
Sad update: the road to the Stelvio is now closed to transit "until further notice".
Transit is possible through the new tunnel (still in construction) in these time gaps:06:30 / 07:30 AM, 09:30 /10:00 AM, 12:00 / 13:00 and 17:30 / 20:00
Otherwise the road is closed. The warning specifies clearly that these restrictions apply " also for the weekends".
A detour is possible from Santa Maria in Switzerland, via the "Val Muraunza" through the "Umbrail Pass" you should be able to reach Bormio.
I'll keep you informed!
cheers

Translation for Stelvio Pass road report.

Don't blame me - it's the translation programme's interpretation.

Stilfserjoch 
Trailer prohibition and driving ban for penalty with a length over 10,50 m. Bormio side: Driving ban for vehicles with a height over 3,30 m and width over 2,50 m

Good luck guys. ;D

[quote by=Matteo link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1088289905,s=134 date=1126016025]

Hello from Italy,
Sad update: the road to the Stelvio is now closed to transit "until further notice".
Transit is possible through the new tunnel (still in construction) in these time gaps:06:30 / 07:30 AM, 09:30 /10:00 AM, 12:00 / 13:00 and 17:30 / 20:00
Otherwise the road is closed. The warning specifies clearly that these restrictions apply " also for the weekends".
A detour is possible from Santa Maria in Switzerland, via the "Val Muraunza" through the "Umbrail Pass" you should be able to reach Bormio.
I'll keep you informed!

Damn!!! And I have a boot full of mad octane boster I was going to flog to Triumphs at the bottom of the hill! still more for the taxi-let me know at the start if you want any £9 a shot
cheers
[/quote]

Hi,
You were quicker than me to spot the good news:
I don't get to the office very early in the mornings! ;D
Sorry for the thrill.. :B
In fact, they reopened it one day before (on the "viamichelin" website the note said reopening 8th Sept.).
This is unexpected, compared to the Italian standards, but up there they're more Austrian than Italian! (An old dispute...)

See you all in Lesa, have a safe journey!

Archived