Calling all GARMIN satnav owners

thescrapman

Colin

I'm using a Nuvi 250 - researched how to do it on the Net and gave up - I've just loaded up the control stops using the coordinates given by Ellis. All the 'little roads' are on the Garmin maps as are all the speed cameras, except Swizzle Land where of course it is illegall to have them on your GPS.

Steve

thescrapman wrote:
Does anyone know if you can program the itineries into a Nuvi 250, and if so how.

I am trying got do a long distance remote assistance for one of our fellow participants.

And I have a TomTom!

:-)

Assistance much appreciated.

Cheers

Colin

The short answer is probably no. I have a Nuvi 255 and its does not support routes, you cant store a route into the device even though the Mapsource program downloads the GPX files on to the Satnav you cant use them. All you can do is to dwonload the points as favorites and then program the route and add the favorites as POI.
If you have a look at the spec of the Garmin devices if it has 0 next to the routes spec then  it cant do it.
Guess how I know, all the bottom end satnav seems to have restricted software. I have just brought a Tomtom, which is now doing a 1.7G map download....
mike

thescrapman wrote:
Does anyone know if you can program the itineries into a Nuvi 250, and if so how.

I am trying got do a long distance remote assistance for one of our fellow participants.

And I have a TomTom!

:-)

Assistance much appreciated.

Cheers

Colin

The short answer is probably no. I have a Nuvi 255 and its does not support routes, you cant store a route into the device even though the Mapsource program downloads the GPX files on to the Satnav you cant use them. All you can do is to dwonload the points as favorites and then program the route and add the favorites as POI.
If you have a look at the spec of the Garmin devices if it has 0 next to the routes spec then  it cant do it.
Guess how I know, all the bottom end satnav seems to have restricted software. I have just brought a Tomtom, which is now doing a 1.7G map download....
mike

mpbarrett wrote:

.......Guess how I know, all the bottom end satnav seems to have restricted software. I have just brought a Tomtom, which is now doing a 1.7G map download....
mike

well it did the 1.7G download, installed the new updated map onto the Tomtom and now the TomTom does not recognise the map.... and wont restore the backup! At least I have the paper maps :))
mike

I have had this as well with the ones at work.

Master reset first, then go through the stuff on the TomTom website, then give them a ring if no go.

If you bought it locally take it back and say it is duff, and then don't do a map update on the new one.

You need to load TomTom home onto 1 computer , and take an immediate backup, then load it onto another one and use that to do the updating.

It tramples over itself constantly and you can't backtrack.

PITA!!!

Cheers

Colin

Blimey, what a faff! My daughter has a Garmin and I have to say the unit and the software is inferior in every way to Tom Tom.
I managed to figure it out but there's so much software, downloading and configuring off the device that it's just a PITA - I got it working on UK maps (it was a US bought device) and she's happy.
I'm just glad I'm using Tom Tom software on a pocket PC - absolutely no problems :-) Although, I was trying to get the most up to date Tom Tom 7 to run on it - apparently it's not been released to run on a Pocket PC but it will if you hack about with it, I just ran out of time and well if it ain't bust, don't fix it. Even if you pay real moeny for legit software it's well worth hanging out iwth the pirate software crowd as they know how to decompile it and hack it, often fixing the manufacturers bugs in the process!

Archived