AndyF wrote:
we did think about including it but it was apparently very difficult even with a hire car and impossible for a Triumph so it was decided not to offer it in the official route.

AndyF

Hire cars go anywhere  :) Was checking out the offroading abilities of a Toyota Avanza just a couple of weeks back.  Really quite impressive for a small MPV  :X

Perhaps we'll give this one a miss then - I would not have taken any of my cars where the hire car went..... least of all the Vitesse.

Nick

I had a go at it last year coming North to South i.e up the easier North side and down that very wiggly South side. Had the TR7 not lunched its gearbox I would have been able to tell if it was possible for a Triumph to do it; as it was I did it in a VW hire car (forget what flavour) and it struggled at times.
The main problem is that there are some tremendous humps in the road that would likely tear off the exhaust on the lower slung models, if not leave you completely beached. Couple that with some VERY tight bends, no barriers and loose surfaces and you are tempting fate.
As Andy says, have a go by all means - who knows they may have done some work on it since last June (1012) when I had a crack. But you have been warned......

Burnerboy wrote:
I had a go at it last year coming North to South i.e up the easier North side and down that very wiggly South side. Had the TR7 not lunched its gearbox I would have been able to tell if it was possible for a Triumph to do it; as it was I did it in a VW hire car (forget what flavour) and it struggled at times.
The main problem is that there are some tremendous humps in the road that would likely tear off the exhaust on the lower slung models, if not leave you completely beached. Couple that with some VERY tight bends, no barriers and loose surfaces and you are tempting fate.
As Andy says, have a go by all means - who knows they may have done some work on it since last June (1012) when I had a crack. But you have been warned......

I`m getting too old for tempting fate....

Here's another one closer to home, instead of taking the E40 towards Aachen (routepoint 62 in roadbook and green line on map)
Head north towards Aubel - Teuven - Mechelen - Kerkrade (red line).
This will shorten the route by some 10 kilometres, and it will avoid possible roadworks on the motorways around Aachen.
depending on traffic it might add a maximum of 10 minutes to your travel time, and some nice country lanes  :)

beans wrote:
... it will avoid possible roadworks on the motorways around Aachen ...

That should read major roadworks at Autobahnkreuz Aachen, although traffic shouldn't be an issue on Sunday afternoon.
But road layout is changing a bit there so don't trust your satnav and watch carefully for road-signs otherwise you'll end up in the wrong part of the Netherlands.

beans wrote:

That should read major roadworks at Autobahnkreuz Aachen, although traffic shouldn't be an issue on Sunday afternoon.
But road layout is changing a bit there so don't trust your satnav and watch carefully for road-signs otherwise you'll end up in the wrong part of the Netherlands.

What? Still!  They were there in 2011...... so we got lost that time as well and gave the crap nav the opportunity to prove it had NO IDEA where Rolduc was....  could do without a repeat of that!

Seems I need to pay more attention to the alternate route or follow one of the local teams!

Nick