Stub Axle replacement

Dan16v

Evening all

im in the process of renewing the stub axles on the GT6, has anyone found a good way to grip hold of them while doing up the main nut to the required 65 lbft ?

Obviously avoiding gripping on the two bearing surfaces, but the other section is a taper and the vice with a bit of rag around it just wont hold it tight enough

Cheers

Dan

michael_charlton wrote:
By fitting a nut to the split pin end, making sure the VL and shaft surfaces are clean an dry....just tap the shaft so the the two surfaces grip.The fixing nut and washer can then be tightened
Never had a problem with that process  

the old shaft that came out had been greased so I put a smear back on when fitting the new one, I take it the nut on the spilt pin end is just so you can tap it to lock the tapper?  This is the bit I have not done.

Tinweevil wrote:
If memory serves the retaining nut is a nylock which can when new grip tight enough to turn the stub.  Fit a plain nut instead and torque to the correct setting then change to a nylock and torque again.  Same trick can be of use on track rod ends and the like.

This is what I did, got a plain nut and used that then fitted the nylon one. I got it pretty much there and then once the VL was fitted to the car on the wishbones tightened up the final bit.

Both my manuals say 90-100lb/ft

7801 wrote:

This is what I did, got a plain nut and used that then fitted the nylon one. I got it pretty much there and then once the VL was fitted to the car on the wishbones tightened up the final bit.

Both my manuals say 90-100lb/ft

once I gave the end of it a good thump with a wooden mallet to engage the tapper a bit more it kept it still enough to do up

i got the torque setting of 65 ib/ft from here;

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/Torque.html

it felt quite tight at 65 with the big torque wrench