nang

Gentlemen, your collective wisdom please.......
Previous owner of my mk4 must have had a problem with an axle shaft as his garage replaced the RHS with a Herald one. Long axles are like rocking horse poo over here.
They obviously were aware of the length difference as they fitted a spacer between the diff flange and axle with longer bolts.I was sort of aware of this seeing the spacer underneath but all seemed ok until I put the MGF wheels on. It was then obvious that there was more wheel on one side than 'tother.On reading p/o's invoices it seems the garages maths were a bit out. They fitted a 15mm spacer instead of an 1'' (25.4mm) one"So 10mm too short. I'm going to fix this now as it looks horrible to me. Spitfire Graveyard can supply axle for 40 pounds but want 176 pounds freight, too much for me. Idea now is to make a 1'' spacer but to drill and tap and fit HT studs and bolt it on.I think half an inch of thread will be sufficient.
Any thoughts other than a trip to UK to collect please. Thanks Tony.

spacer sounds like it will work - but do you have a pair of matching trailing armsa and chassis brackets.  They differ short to long.  If you have had a short shaft fitted you may well have short shaft radius and brackets too?

Failing a trip to the UK, how about waiting for one of your fellow countrymen to visit and monopolise their hand luggage!

Two just been over for RBRR  :-)

Graveyard are apologetic but say this is what their courier charges. It seems that more traders are doing this...not sending themselves but giving it to outside contractors.
Look at some of the ridiculous prices U.S. people are asking for freight. I looked at a 3/4 to 5/8 oil filter adaptor, from memory about $4 but freight about $20.
May have to go the Canleys way, at least their freight charges are reasonable.
Tony.

Tony have you emailed the various Triumph clubs here in NZ.
I had a set lying round for years after I converted my Mk4 to Rotoflex and 2l Vitesse power. Flicked them off on Trademe a few years back. Also had several swing springs but all gone.
How about fitting 2 Herald axles?

Adrian

Adrian,
I think I'd like to keep the Spitfire set up.
Looks like I'm going to have to some measuring. I'm not sure what was changed apart from the axle. When I had the back end apart to rebush during the winter I didn't notice differences. I don't really understand why the garage fitted a 15 mm spacer instead of 25mm. to correct the axle length difference. Might just slip the spacer out tomorrow and see if I can fit something an inch wide into the gap. If I can I'll make a proper spacer up. Might be a bit of a bodge but the present one has been in place for some time now without any obvious problems. After all she's not an everyday driver. I've put a wanted ad on Trademe and will see what eventuates.
Tony.

nang wrote:
Previous owner of my mk4 must have had a problem with an axle shaft as his garage replaced the RHS with a Herald one. Long axles are like rocking horse poo over here.

MkIV Spitfire's had the short driveshaft same as Herald and early Spitfires. Only 1500 Spitfires had the long one.

ps pm sent.

It's the cost of freight and/or import tax that kills it.

My friend bought some indicators for his old old triumph, (cant remember the exact figure but) something like €12, then he had a call saying, your item has arrived and now you need to pay tax at €20  ??)

The tax was more than the product was worth! (not sure what he did actually) but he will say if he reads this! And correct my mistakes (where are you Dirk)

They always seem to be getting more expensive!