Getting round driveshaft wear

Paul318UK

As part of my backend refurb I found play in one hub bearing assembly. So I ordered new bearings and started the strip down. Now I find the running diameter for the inner needle bearing is badly warn (approx 25.2mm instead of 25.4).

I have three options and am interested in your comments.

1/ New driveshaft/ metal spray old shaft.

2/ Grind shaft to 25mm, go metric and adjust hub to nearest bigger size of bearings available.

3/ Preferred option, move the needle roller bearing approx 11mm inboard and use existing good shaft surface. Machine cast area of hub cavity and fit a spacer for the needle bearing shell. This would still leave the centreline of the trunion between the centreline of the two bearings (just).

Has anyone else gone option 2 or 3?

Paul

Get a new shaft is the obvious answer.
Seems a lot less grief and the proven answer. I don't think the options have any advantages, may save a few £ but take ages (unless you enjoy machining work!)
Not sure if the shafts are surface hardened, so check if you intend turning the shaft down. Moving the bearing may not be a good idea if it changes where the forces are applied. May create other problems.

Clive

Thanks for the offer but its a long one I need.

I have now come up[ with a plan to bore out the existing bearing seat in the hub and fit an imperial bearing of a larger O.D with an inner sleeve. This will form a new surface over the damaged shaft and mean in the future it will always be just a new bearing with the shaft protected.

Sounds an interesting mod but do keep in mind that these axles are known to snap at this point.
There are some good pictures of the rsults of this in a previous thread.
Your idea is worth considering if fitting a "new" axle as running a needle roller straight on the shaft is building in potential failure.
If you find satisfactory componentry it would be appreciated if you could post the part numbers.

Archived