Diff nose cone failures

mikeyb

The design was altered slightly in approx 1971 (don't know why) which seemed to make it weaker and more prone to failure.

As far as I know it doesn't seem to be much of an issue for road cars in the UK but does affect folks in SA and Oz etc where the cars do huge mileages.

There was a bit of discussion about this not so long ago -- I think I remember Canley Dave saying he had stockpiled strengthened Mk II diff nose cones but he'd never sold any  :X

Hmmm MkI subframe mount bushes are different to MkII (wonder if they meant those?). Also the drive line was shifted on later MkII's, there are early & late MkII nose-pieces. 1 5/8'' & 1 7/8'' are the two types.

According to CW the usual cause of failure is the diff seal failing and letting the diff oil wash out the grease in the sealed-for-life bearing, located in the nose piece.

If the seal has failed you have to change the seal & the nose bearing. CW always recommended a leather seal rather than plastic (neoprane), something to do with temperature & sealing.

[quote by=Richard_B link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1178625890,s=3 date=1178630403]
According to CW the usual cause of failure is the diff seal failing and letting the diff oil wash out the grease in the sealed-for-life bearing, located in the nose piece.[/quote]

I don't think this is the failure mode in question. The nose piece itself on the Mk2 is prone to breakage, rather than failure of the bearing. I've no personal experience of this, but then I've only lived with Mk1s.
Cheers,
Bill.

[quote by=Richard_B link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1178625890,s=3 date=1178630403]According to CW the usual cause of failure is the diff seal failing and letting the diff oil wash out the grease in the sealed-for-life bearing, located in the nose piece.[/quote]

That's something different.

From CW's product list page 2:

"REINFORCED DIFF NOSE/SUBFRAME BRACKETS
There are two types of nose piece...early 1 7/8" late 1 5/8"; changed at ME 42722 + MG 21067"

The later type is known to be weaker.

going back to the world cup rally cars...i do seem to remember that MK2 ones had the superior MK1 type diff cradle fitting that was also used on stags and estates....cant understand as to why the factory  designed a different fitting for the MK2 saloons only ?...perhaps our man from canley  can enlighten us all , im sure he,s the authority on this subject!

[quote by=2420DH_2.5PI link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1178625890,s=7 date=1178656881]going back to the world cup rally cars...i do seem to remember that MK2 ones had the superior MK1 type diff cradle fitting that was also used on stags and estates....cant understand as to why the factory  designed a different fitting for the MK2 saloons only ?...perhaps our man from canley  can enlighten us all , im sure he,s the authority on this subject![/quote]

This is what a factory rally car looks like in the boot after modification. Basically they just grafted in the wide mounting MKI/Stag type fixings.

Archived