Diff or not to diff?

shedmonkey

What would you do? drop the diff in the car you think/ know is good apart from the pinion bearing -replace the bearing and put if back in or put an unknown spare in which currently has a snapped stud stuck in the spring mount which will need drilled and tapped
The diff in the car did the 10CR with a shagged pinion bearing the clunk got no worse all the way round- what are the chances of something else being shagged after I fix the pinion bearing?
I'm in a quandary! thinking I will fix the pinion bearing and run that diff hoping nothing else was shagged as I know this other one has sat around a while (I've drained a lot of sludge and watery oil out of it!)

AJ, are you sure the clonk is the pinnion bearing.!!!!
bearings generally dont clonk but rumble.
clonks come frae the the
CW/ P, if its gone out of mesh

the diff gears,with worn thrust, giving the CW/P alot of movement whenst turned frae the prop end,
and both wheels cant turn.

and what ive been on wid, a very worn sliding spline

M

Nah.... probably using it for medical purposes.....  :P

I'd be inclined to work on the devil you know - at least you know it doesn't howl like a banshee!  And while you're in there, have a good look at the cupped thrust washers on the little gears - the fibre ones just vanish and the yellow metal ones get eaten by GL5 oils - either way you get a big clunk.....

Nick

I can generate the clunk only by laying under the car and pulling the flange the prop bolts onto backwards and forwards about 1/4" which I'm guessing is a shagged completely collapsed collapsible spacer or pinion  bearing? -up till now I've only been used to Triumphs with Quill shafts! so its a similar fault as a shagged quill shaft bearing in my head! if you see what I mean?

As for the watery diff oil I have saved that in a jar and will be putting it on Ebay with the remains of an Olympic stud  :)

I've got a new pinion bearing etc to fit,Homer is staying for a few days "Holiday" so we might wip it out(the diff that is) Thursday and have a look -
So with it on the bench and it stripped without the special tools needed to prise the big bits out what I'm I looking for? in terms of wear that wont last the RBR? - (My budget is about two shedtune Olympic lighters) so if I can sort a diff just using the bits I've got that would be great

Nick up for a pint of Mugley Wuggly in the Burtle in with me and Homer ?!!

796 wrote:
Aha, I see now, 1/4 play in  / oot, is not good news.
if you see a nut with a cover on it on the diff drive flange , its a   [supposedly ] collapse able spacer.

M

Will post some pics up of what I find!

Nice headline in evening news and star the other day!!!!! you havent been wearing two pairs of trousers have you! :)

Do you not know the condition of the `stuck stud` diff?
I would`nt mix `n match bits from either ,you could finish up with another mangled mess of crown wheel and pinion
Just try swapping over the casings from one to another
Are you sure its not a `donk` not a `clunk`?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufDTDUPZrag  

AJ thats the sound Ive hope fully got rid of.
comes mainly on over run, very light throttle. and it was a worn sliding  member.
but yours may be diff, as its really hard to say wid oot seeing / hearing it.

bung up what ye find.
M

Ohhh, what and where was the bit int News and Deekaboot   [ time and Star / Evening Nes,!! } cant see any thing  aboot 2 pairs of Troosers

Not thinking of this are ye,  :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R2EjelEQgPw

[quote=796]AJ thats the sound Ive hope fully got rid of.
comes mainly on over run, very light throttle. and it was a worn sliding  member.
but yours may be diff, as its really hard to say wid oot seeing / hearing it.

bung up what ye find.
M

Ohhh, what and where was the bit int News and Deekaboot   [ time and star / evening nes,!! } cant see any thing  aboot 2 pairs of troosers

not thinking of this are ye,  :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R2EjelEQgPw[/quote]

Sorry to be thick "sliding member" where that then? -no reference to or pun intended re the news and star story and how to fix it?

Thats no a clonk, its a rattle / knock
Not what I had.

If the front bearing has gone, and the Pinnion is flapp,n aboot, then I would love to see some pics of what is in there.

ohhh a sliding member, its what some call a  sliding joit / slip joint, generally at the back
have a deek at this.

Not sure of movements but give me a call I should be in all day...welsh water pah!

Anyway got the diff out tonight - I vastly over exaggerated there is  only about 1.5 mm play on the front flange up and down ..the spare has no play so I'm guessing that the pinion bearing has some play ...but I'm still not convinced that was making all that noise!
Had a good fiddle with the prop (one for Don there) and sliding member there is play in that as well and it sounds like a 2000 drive shaft does when its spline locking (full of gone off  grease?) when you try and slide the said member (GT6M you have a lot to answer for with you sliding member descriptions!) it feels rough!

So my plan- Refurb prop
                - replace diff pinion bearing
                -replace drive shaft UJs whilst got it in bits just to tick them off the list of possible causes..plus one is showing slight signs of spinning  a cup after the 10cr

Comments suggestions and smutty jokes  welcome