Differential advice

DoZ

Just blew up my gearbox and differential in the same weekend, so not a great saturday all in all  :'(

Anyway as I have a type 9 I am thinking of getting a nice re-conditioned number from front line and not take the risk again with a nackered old one.

The question is what to do about the diff.  It is a bit noisy and whilst out for the oil seals (which is the problem) I thought it should be replaced/serviced.  So who would you all go to for a re-conditioned or to re-condition a diff?

Thanks

DoZ

I'd recommend Canley Classics. Not the cheapest but good reputation, you can chnage ratios if you want to and also unlike some of the others it will have a new crown wheel and pinion.

Fitted mine from their last month and it's a nice quiet unit. Also chnaged from a 3.89 to a 3.63 (as per Spit 1500) as this gives slightly more relaxed cruising without being too tall in overdrive top.

Yes, 3.63 gives the highest gearing without the 3.27 fragility.  As the T9 gearbox has lower 1st & 2nd gears this becomes more important as the diff sees more torque in 1st and second gear than it would with a standard Gt6 gearbox.

When sourcing your new T9, I should try and get hold of one from a 2.8 Granada Mk2 or late 2.8 Capri.  These have higher 1st and second gear (though not as high as orig Gt6) and also stronger layshaft bearings.  Any of the the 2.8 engined cars had the taller 1st &  2nd but only the later ones had the stronger bearings.  Note that the 2.3 V6 does not has the taller gears.  Note also that all the V6 gearboxes have a slightly longer input shaft than the  4 cyl cars - don't know whether this causes fit problems. You could try someone like BGH Geartech although there are surely others.

http://www.bghgeartech.co.uk/html/5_speed.html

Cheers

Nick

bestquality03, did you end up having to modify your adaptor plate?  On mine I had to drill an extra hole in the bellhousing to make it fit.  I think Frontline have made modifications since.  Mine was fitted a couple of years back now.

Prices for re-con boxes are anywhere between £395 and £842 depending on spec and company!  :o

Gave Anglian a phone, think I will end up getting a 3.63 diff off them, seem like nice guys and a good price.

what part of the 3.27 is actually the weak part or part that normally breaks,if it is the planet gears or hub can the crown wheel and pinion not be bolted to a 3.63 unit to make a stronger 3.27 diff?

ISTR it being the crossshaft which is smaller in diameter?

DoZ wrote:
bestquality03, did you end up having to modify your adaptor plate?  On mine I had to drill an extra hole in the bellhousing to make it fit.  I think Frontline have made modifications since.  Mine was fitted a couple of years back now.

Prices for re-con boxes are anywhere between £395 and £842 depending on spec and company!  :o

Gave Anglian a phone, think I will end up getting a 3.63 diff off them, seem like nice guys and a good price.

DOZ
The instructions that came with the "KIT" instructed me to drill 3 new holes in the bell housing in order to get it to mate up correctly.  The "KIT" is a con!!!!  Fot the money they charge they should have developed a true GT6 adapter plate!  The "KIT" was supplied to me in December last year.  
All the best
Tim

I'm in the process of fitting a Type 9 to a GT6 at the moment, and have had to break out the drill as well. I suspect any adapter will require new holes to be drilled in the bellhousing, as the lower two gearbox mounting holes in the bellhousing overlap with two bolt positions in the front of the Type 9. The adapter bolts to the front of the gearbox using Ford's original 5 bolts, and then you have to drill two new holes in the bellhousing to bolt it to the adapter. The only alternative would be to drill and tap new holes in the gearbox casing - harder than drilling two clean holes in the triumph bellhousing.

My adapter was made by 'GT6 Mike' and is beautifully machined, so it's not a half-made kit issue at all.

Mine was a Frontline kit. Installation was easy but did have oil leak from speedo drive. Replaced seal and it still leaked. Phoned Jigsaw who sold me the kit and they contacted Frontline. Within 48 hours Ed (Sales director Frontline) was on my doorstep with seals and a replacement drive. Problem now sorted and the result is that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Frontline to anyone.

Archived