Clutch bite point 13/60

Piran

How low should the clutch bite point be on a 13/60 ?

We've been having problems changing gear (usually fine for the first mile and then progressively harder to change), I've replaced the clevis pin which took up some of the slack but the bite point currently is about 1" from the floor. I haven't driven her much since changing this but would feel better with the bite point a bit higher, so any ideas where I should look for this ?

thanks

Has it always been like this in your ownership, or has it changed recently?

An originally configured Herald will have the bite point broadly in the mid range of travel, not particularly high or low. Modern replacement clutches are a different matter though, thinner linings and (in some cases) completely redesigned covers frequently make the bite point exceptionally low. The slave cylinder's piston can be right at the end of it's travel and hitting the circlip before there is any release. The engineered fix is to modify the release bearing carrier to bring the bearing closer to the cover when at rest. As this requires substantial dismantling and (understandably) more work than anyone should expect with a simple clutch replacement, welding an extension onto the slave cylinder pushrod is a quick and dirty fix.

It may of course be something else, but the above is a very common cause of the problem,

Cheers,
Bill.

Possible...and simple.
On herald/spit have alsp heard of [people enlarging the slot on the side of the slave so it can be moved forward in the clamp.
the other "bodge" is to use a larger bore master cylinder, landrover I believe. 0.75 bore so will make the pedal heavier. Not what I would do, but should work.

Ha!  Managed to get the slave cylinder off -  once I realised that the bolt needed taking out rather than just being undone.  I refurbished it,  put it all together again and.....  The bite point is somewhere the other side of the bulkhead!  

Managed to get the master cylinder off (then got the pipe off) and get it apart with the help of a plastic bag and a bike pump.  Replaced seals,  refilled and bled and now back to having about an inch of travel  from the floor to the bite point....  Unfortunately I don't remember how far down the bite point was before   will take her out for a longer run tomorrow and see how she does.

Well the only slack in the system now is on the pushrod going into the master cylinder.  All seals replaced all bits tightened and bite point is about 1" off the carper   I guess it's gearbox out next and see what's going on in there....

you must have some small free play in the Mcyl pushrod or the cylinder wont refill from the reservior

you can slot the cyl mount brackets to and slide the bracket  on its baulkhead 4 bolts  this will raise the pedal,   but dont close the free play down to nil

please confirm bleed on slave is uppermost above the pipe

this sounds like the throwout pin and its 'tolerance ring' may have dropped , have a look down the o/s of the clutch hsg you can  just see the top of the pivot pin

Pete

I found that bleeding the clutch slave is best done with the rear of the car lifted up on axle stands. That way the bleed nipple on the slave is at the highest point - where the air bubble is - and so bleeds better.

Zeus