Alternative Clutch plates

Allerno

Hi everyone, yet another question for you all!

I am now up to the point of overhauling my gearbox and clutch system, however I noticed that the clutch plate is pretty worn.  I have been looking through the internet to purchase a new one and the cheapest I've found is http://www.mevspares.co.uk/index.aspx, but that is still £50!

I was wondering if there are any alternative searches I could be doing instead of "GT6 clutch plate"?  Are there any other clutch plates from other cars that could fit the GT6, that could also be cheaper?  It just seems to me that when you type in GT6, prices seem to shoot up...

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Regards,
Allan    :)

I would suggest a clutch should NEVER be bought on price. The grief a poor clutch can cause is huge as it is a time-consuming job to change.

I would try to find a new old stock Borg and Beck full clutch kit. I have seen them at the shows for under £50 for the whole kit.
The same plate is used on early dolomite 1850, vitesse 2 litre/mk2, triumph saloons (2000 and 2.5) but I suspect they will all be cross referenced
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-VITESSE-GT6-SPRINT-BORG-BECK-CLUTCH-KIT-/150631711552?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2312598340

bit more expensive but should be known good quality. But if you dig about may well be available cheaper.

Thanks yes good advice, and after the back-breaking work it has taken to take the clutch and gear box out in the first place, I don't want to be doing it again any time soon!
I have heard of the Borg and Beck before in passing so I will look a little more into them and see how I go with prices etc.

Another question related to the clutch!

Should I purchase a clutch kit (includes the plate, cover and release bearing) or just replace the plate?

I was talking to one of the sales people on Rimmer Bros today and they suggested that it is advisable to change the clutch cover as well as the clutch plate at the same time because they wear out at the same rate.  Is this true or was this guy trying to get an extra couple of £££ out of me?

I know my clutch plate definitely needs changing as it was as smooth as anything, but I'm not too sure what to check for on the clutch cover.

thanks again in advance for replies everyone.

Allerno,
It has been my experience to have the clutch cover fail before the disk each time I have had clutch failure in my Spitfire. This was not with any one brand of cover. Some have lasted longer than others, but in my case it seems that eventually the diaphragm spring will break between two fingers before I wear the disk out.
                                                                Best of luck,
                                                                Paul

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I actually ended up buying a kit today from Canley Classics, who use Coventry Clutches.  I thought that it would be sufficient for the job as I won't be taking it round a track so the Borg & Beck wouldn't be needed.  I got the clutch kit for £61.00 and I also needed to buy a clutch pipe so those two with p+p came to £79, which is pretty good I suppose.

Archived