Seized clutch plate?

68 Spitfire III

Hi Everyone.  I am a new to this forum and taking up a 68 Spitfire restoration project my Father left off 20 years ago.  

I am a hobby mechanic with limited experience.  The car was operating and driven on the driveway prior to being put away.  It has not moved in 20 years but engine started with minimal effort.  The engine appears to be running fine but I am unable to shift into any gear.  I have evaluated the clutch, master and slave cylinders and bleed them as described in my Haynes manual.  I now believe the clutch plates may be rusted together.  Does anyone know of a way to entice them apart without removing the engine for access?  I do not have a vehicle lift so removing the transmission would be a difficult project as well.  I was hoping to find an inspection plate but haven't found one yet.  Any help, tips or tricks are appreciated.

Thanks!
Brad

Ahem,. I believe foot should be hard down on clutch pedal....
Another technique is to get the car up on axle stands, and run the car up through the gears carefully (start in first) then with teh clutch pedal down flick the accelerator to shock the clutch plate. A little more gentle. But needs decent supports under the car!
First though, and before trying either of the above, run the engine up to temp, and wedge the clutch pedal down, and leave overnight, longer if you are patient. It may help to free it off. Then try the above.

i used axle stand method, warmed up engine then with engine revving and wheels spinning i pushed clutch pedal fully then stamped on the brakes until almost stall then do again and again etc, it let go pretty soon and was ok although was never great but driveable enough.

rich

cliftyhanger wrote:
Ahem,. I believe foot should be hard down on clutch pedal....
Another technique is to get the car up on axle stands, and run the car up through the gears carefully (start in first) then with teh clutch pedal down flick the accelerator to shock the clutch plate. A little more gentle. But needs decent supports under the car!
First though, and before trying either of the above, run the engine up to temp, and wedge the clutch pedal down, and leave overnight, longer if you are patient. It may help to free it off. Then try the above.

Oops Clive is correct of course.....I really should wake up before posting answers to questions ;D