ButtonIt

Forgive the daft question please, I'm a newbie here :D:D

MY Herald 1200 has (as far as we can work out) only done 31000 miles.  So I'm assuming the 43 year old clutch is well past it's best, it slips going up hill with more than one person in the car :D:D:D

Where's the best place to buy a replacement clutch, and do I need to replace the whole clutch assembly or just the plate?

I'm not planning to do it myself, it's well beyond my current mechanic skills.  Luckily there's an old family run garage at the end of my road, my dad's been using them for over 25 years.  I'm hoping they'll be able to do it for me.

Fitting a new clutch on a Herald isn't hard, I once did one on the road outside the house. You only need to get the gearbox out, and as it comes out through the passenger door it isn't too bad. Have a look in the Hayne manual and see what you think. Go and have a chat with your friendly garage, and see if they will help you out if you get stuck.

To be honest I've never had a failed coil-spring clutch. I understand they can go out of balance, but it's never happened to me on a Herald. The Vitesse 6 clutch is a different matter, it is marginal at best.
Swapping to a diaphragm clutch is worthwhile, particularly if you are uprating the engine in any way, but there are some pitfalls. The current Delphi Borg & Beck diaphragm clutch has been redesigned, it is not as tall as the original Herald unit. This makes release marginal, in an ideal world a taller bearing carrier is needed to reduce the amount of travel before disengagement. You can get around this by extending the release pin to the slave cylinder, or modifiying the cylinder itself so it will travel further into it's mounting bracket, ie closer to the clutch. None of this should be necessary if Delphi got their product right in the first place. The other option is to look for old stock,or avoid the current B&B product,
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived