Clutch Release Bearings

davehopkins

Hi, Newbie here!

Does anybody know if the clutch release bearing on a dolomite sprint is the same as a Vitesse 2.0  MK1. Is the height the same on both so the travel should be the same?

I have just found out that on my Vitesse it has a dolomite sprint gearbox, O does anybody know where to find Model number on the gearbox?

New second hand engine in and running (thank god) but no clutch. Need some answers!!   :o

Hi, I'm impressed with the quality reply and speed!  It may well be a Dolomite 1850 gearbox, I need to check the serial no / model no, now I know were to look.(thanks). The engine is the 2.0  six cyl, but the gearbox was put on by the previous owner its got the overdrive. The Bell housing does split and when we put in the second hand MK1 2.0 litre we had to use the plate off the original engine as the bolt holes did not line up properly. The problem is that on the original bellhousing it has a lever mechanism on the outside of it and this lever travels to its limit and actually scapes the side of bell housing, so I know its at its furthest point of travel. But the clutch does not even feel like applying pressure through the realease bearing to the spring forks on the clutch. The only thing I can think is to move the postion of the lever mechanism on the spline on the outside of bell housing to get more travel. However, this has been welded on and bloke that I purchased the car from assures me the clutch did work 8 years ago!! So I am reluctant to do this.
Thats why I am not sure about the clutch realease bearing is it travelling far enough?
O, one other cosideration is that we did put in the clutch from the dolomite 1850 (to be confirmed) onto the MK1 2.0 thats now in the car. Is there a differance here between 1850 clutch and Vitesse 2.0 MK2 clutch. The old engine was a mk 2 off a vitesse estate! any ideas ??  :o

This is what a Dolomite 1850 gearbox fitted in a Vitesse looks like.  What you are saying about the clutch linkage appears to differ from this!

As Steve says above the Dolomite Sprint gearbox has an all alloy 1 piece casing where as the 1850 one shown has a detacheable bell housing.  What do you have - this affects the answer......

Presumably the clutch worked before the engine swap?

Nick

Hi Steve, Yeah this is the one.

We put the clutch from the new MK1 engine on as it looked in better nik. My mate did notice that a slight differance, that you could see the springs on the old clutch but not on the new MK1. It was a very slight differance so we went with the better looking one. My next call was going to be put the old clutch back in and see. (But this did not work before so its a difficult call.)

Wot do you think?

2000/2.5 have the slave cylinder mounted below the gearbox as in Steve's diagram. On a Sprint the slave cylinder is fitted above the gearbox cross-shaft by the gearbox, (sorry can't find a picture at present).

The usual gearbox fitted to the 6 is a GT6/Vitesse/1850 Dolomite, although this can be a 'bit' weak. I know the saloon box can be fitted to the small cars but it involves some cutting & shuting of the chassis, presumably yours has had this done.

This 'could' get confusing/interesting as I thought the Sprint had a longer input shaft (like the Stag) to accomodate the aluminium engine adapter. So maybe you have a Sprint gearbox with a Saloon input shaft?

Sorry we need photos and serial numbers :)

Basically there are four or more variations of that large gearbox
2000/2.5 fits onto 6 cylinder back-plate 1'' diameter input shaft
TR5/6 fits onto 6 cylinder back-plate 1-1/4'' diameter shaft
Sprint 2 Litre fits onto aluminium adapter longer shaft (don't know diameter)
Stag 3 Litre fits onto aluminium adapter longer shaft 1-1/4'' diameter

Don't know about TR4 etc but they are a variation on the TR6 box.

You could try phoning someone who knows what they're talking about, like Canley Classics or Chris Witor  :B

Further info:-

Vitesse 2.0 MK1 release bearing part number GRB209  diameter 67mm height 19mm.

TR6  release bearing part number GRB211 diameter 93mm height 25mm.

So they are not the same..

Does any body know the differance between a Borge & Beck clutch verses a Laycock.

No funnies please!!!

Need to work out the right config to put into TR6 Gearbox and Vitesse 2.0 MK1 to make it work.

Hmmmmmmmm

Cheers for the help Steve, and another twist in the tale..........

Just spoke with Dave Pearson at Canley Classics, he is confident that is actually a Triumph 2000 Gearbox!! Has anybody a pic of one of these please....

I feel as though I have gone through some hoops ....

Any takers....

Nick_Jones wrote:
This is what a Dolomite 1850 gearbox fitted in a Vitesse looks like.  
As Steve says above the Dolomite Sprint gearbox has an all alloy 1 piece casing where as the 1850 one shown has a detacheable bell housing.  What do you have - this affects the answer......
Nick

FYI
The gearbox shown in that photo has the wrong overdrive on it...

Someone has mistakenly fitted a Spitfire 1500 overdrive (single rail) showing the mounting holes for the rear gear lever bracket....
This can result in misalignment of the gearbox mounting with the rear housing and damage it, as the overdrive sits at a slightly different angle on the back of the gearbox.  :)

There are one or 2 little variations to your problem, but I wouldn't mind betting your gearbox is actually a combination of bits....probably a case from a Dolomite sprint, gears from a 2000 or TR6....with a Sprint release mechanism....but beware these operate the reverse way round from the saloons etc as the mechanism is upside down.....

The TR6 has an altogether larger release bearing shared only with the STAG...so easy to identify.

All the other release bearings are identical Vitesse/GT6/Sprint/1850/2000 and funnily enough Jag XJS...
The throw out sleeves are all different however.....

The easiest way is to give me the number of the J type overdrive....

TR6 ends with 38, and has an 8 stamped on the back of the overdrive below the flange...
Dolomite sprint is stamped 6 and OD unit ends in 42 RED colour

All the 2000/2500 later units start either with 28/ and end with 72 or 73
Earlier ones are ending in 35 and all stamped 5

Dolomite 1850 is ending in 47...green colour and stamped 6

Hope that gives you some sharp ideas as to its origin.

There are 2 gearboxes which will NOT fit directly in the GT6/Vitesse....these are the Sprint and Stag as the input shafts are about 2"-3" longer, so usually the 2000/2500 input shaft is substituted or the TR6 with the bigger clutch spline.

Cheers  :)

SpitBang wrote:
To quote Nick's website "The gearbox is a late 1850 Dolomite unit with J-type overdrive built into a 3-rail case."

So I guess he has also used the overdrive and adaptor plate from that single rail 1850 gearbox?

Ah yes.....he has used the 1" longer mainshaft from the single rail gearbox and chopped the top off the single rail adaptor plate.....highly original it might be said  :o

Not the favourite idea because it pushes the overdrive very far back where there is little space in the chassis, and needs an even shorter prop....but goes to show it's possible to make some real "bitsas"!  ;D

GTEVO wrote:

Ah yes.....he has used the 1" longer mainshaft from the single rail gearbox and chopped the top off the single rail adaptor plate.....highly original it might be said  :o

Not the favourite idea because it pushes the overdrive very far back where there is little space in the chassis, and needs an even shorter prop....but goes to show it's possible to make some real "bitsas"!  ;D

Ah yes, all this is true.   ;D Only the maddest bitsas here.  Not my idea originally, I know of several others.  Dunno how else you are supposed to do it without spending more than £100.  Works absolutely fine though clearance is tight at the back.  I actually welded some chassis back in when fitting the Toyota box!

I guess the Toyota box means it's an even madder bitsa now ....... ;D

Back on thread:  
The Sprint gearbox has the same input shaft diameter and spline as the 2000/2500 gearbox but the shaft is longer due the Sprint having an adptor plate.  This has to be shortened to be fitted to the 6.  Can be done and brings slightly better gear ratios.  The Sprint also has the high clutch slave position as standard although can equally be transferred across to a 2000/2500 box.

You should be ignoring TR6/Stag parts entirely as these have bigger input shafts and thus different clutch plates/release bearings and bearing carriers (Although dodgy people sometimes put saloon gearboxes in these cars too...)

I seem to remember also that there are selection of different length release bearing carriers out there (a further trap for the unwary!) so getting the right one of these may be all that is needed.  Duuno how you figure out which the right one is though?!

Someone out there must know more......

Nick

The mist may be clearing a little, just been back under the green beauty and with an oily rag loads of wd40 and had a good fumble. Hidden under some bodywork was the number yes a number----- wait for it  ------ stamped on the drivers side of the bell housing 306812 HIF E336/R wot does this mean??????????

Could the answer be in the number ?? Any takes  feels like fishing waiting for a bite...

Another question, does anybody know if you can fit a type d overdrive to  a triumph 2000? Just trying to eliminate an option.

I have been told that a TR6 can have a type d fitted. But that a triumph 2000 will not accept a type d.

I think mine is a type d because of the postion of the solanoid being on the right hand side..

Hmmmm

Still need a diagram of the triumph 2000 if anybody has one out there...

Archived