Dolomite steering lock

domo

good morning Triumph owners, I am new on this forum, and don't actually own a Triumph, I only own a steering column.  The reason I am online, is that I have used a Triumph Dolomite steering column in my DAX cobra, which is now undergoing export checks for Germany.  The German authorities criticise the steering lock, because with the key inserted but in the "fully off" position, the steering lock, clicks in, and locks the steering. According to "them" this is a malfunction, and the steering should only lock when the key has been removed.  I always thought that, back in the day, this was normal, but I have been told that this was never the case, and the lock has to be repaired.  Does anybody have any information on how these locks worked, and are supposed to work ?  Thanks in advance..  Dominic

I don't know for sure but I think that what you describe is normal behaviour for steering column locks from the era of the Dolomite.

Later on (probably due to the occasional "mishap") I think rules changed (in some parts of the world at least) to make it harder to get to the "locked" position accidently.

Can't find the UK/European regs but Australian ones are here.
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2006L02691
These don't specifically say that it can only lock when the key is removed.

On my own cars 3 x VAG cars from '96 or later all lock when the key is moved.  (A8 auto has to be in Park for the key to be removed)
Our Kia needs the key positively pushing in to turn it the last click for locking and removal (meets Australian regs!)
Vitesse has no steering lock at all
Spitfire not here to check....

Nick

It's a while since I owned a Dolomite but I'm fairly sure my GT6 steering lock doesn't engage until I pull the key out, as I habitually turn the key off on the drive, get out to open the garage door, then let it roll in under gravity, relying on the steering lock not to have engaged yet.

thanks for the information guys, I just came home from work, and grabbed the original 1979 steering column which was in the XJ6 which I used as a doner.   The steering lock only clicks in when the key has been removed, so I guess that may be I have an issue with this Dolomite lock, or it is as it was designed.  Doesn't anybody out there have a Dolomite in the garage ?     It would be a shame to strip it down when it is working as it should be.. 🤔

best regs
Dominic

hi dominic,
just been out to my dolly
1 key in  turn to start position.

2 start car.
3 turn key off. engine stops.
4 turn back 1 click it goes to aux position, ie can use radio.
5 turn back another click, radio goes off, but unable to remove key and steering does not engage.
6 push key in and it will then turn back again and then you can remove key, as the key comes out you hear the lock hit the column, move steering wheel then lock engages in column slot
hope this helps?
let me know.
regards,
tony

hello Toni and Russel, thanks for the input, it does actually sound as if my lock has some sort of fault.  The barrel is marked 0 1 2 3 in roman numerals, like Toni says, aux is 1, ignition is 2 and start is 3.  When I turn back to 0 I don't have to push or anything like that, in fact it looks like the barrel can't be pushed, but i might be wrong, anyway on mine just turn right back to 0, and with the key still in, the steering will lock.  It is a leyland key, I suspect the car dated back to the mid 70's.  I'll look at it this coming weekend and let you know what is going on.  Thanks for the help 😉

best regs

Dominic

I took the lock off just now, and it looks like it almost works, but is worn badly.  If I hold the ring in around the key, then the lock does not spring out, but as soon as I let it go, the lock activates.  I assume it should work like Tony described above, but I guess there are some worn parts on it.  So I am looking into getting a reconditioned or NOS 160337 ignition lock  ..
Thanks and Best regards

Dominic

@ thescrapman, I did actually ask about just removing the lock, but apparently the regulations stipulate that a steering lock is necessary.  May be if I pushed the issue, I could get away with a crook lock or similar.

Hello Tony, I saw the recon units for £107 but I could not find the barrel kits.  Do you know what part number they have ?  I have never had a lock like this one in pieces before, I am not sure how to do it, it seems to have a crimped in plate opposite the steering lock mechanism.  Do I have to take the plate off to get at any parts inside the lock ?  May be you or somebody might have a link on how to do this ?

Best regards
Dominic

Quoted from domo
The barrel is marked 0 1 2 3 in roman numerals, like Toni says, aux is 1, ignition is 2 and start is 3.  When I turn back to 0 I don't have to push or anything like that, in fact it looks like the barrel can't be pushed, but i might be wrong, anyway on mine just turn right back to 0, and with the key still in, the steering will lock.  It is a leyland key, I suspect the car dated back to the mid 70's.  I'll look at it this coming weekend and let you know what is going on.  Thanks for the help 😉

Hi Dominic just been out and checked my '71 Stag. I just use the key without thinking about it. 🙂

Turn from 0-1 easy
To turn from 1-0 requires the key to be pushed into the centre of the column. When you do that the lock clicks, and the steering lock will engage if at the right position (or when the steering wheel is rotated to the right position).

hello Richard, thanks for the advice, I think my lock is faulty, or may be worn out. Tony says and I assume that there is a broken spring or similar which causes the lock to just rotate straight back from 1 to 0 without any effort.  I just have to work out how to get it into pieces now.  If anybody could shed light on a dismantling procedure, i would be forever grateful

best regs

Dominic