Mk1 2000 "Steering column lock"

Jason

On the Heritage Cert for my "new" 1969 PI it states, under "Details of Factory Fitted Equipment" - "Heater, Overdrive, Steering Column Lock, Driver's side wing mirror, Firestone tyres"

Anyone ever seen a Mk1 Steering Column Lock? There's no sign of anything like a column lock and I've never seen one on a Mk1?

My 1969 mk2 has no steering column lock, but the '73 estate does.

From my saddo book, there was a problem with some of the column locks on early mk2s and they were disabled.

To be honest, they offer little defence against theft and you're just likely to end up with a wrecked steering column on the off chance that anyone does try to pinch your car........

I couldn't immediately see how a factory fitted steering lock would work, I mean does it replace or act in conjunction with the normal ignition lock? I;m not bothered either way, conventional "security" on classics offers no security

Regarding Pi MkIs: For my Swedish car the Heritage Certificate states 'steering column lock' as well, though it doesn't have one. I thought that someone might have removed it some time ago, because the key set is still the original.

In a contemporary car test in the German magazine hobby the photo of the cockpit of a LHD PI shows a lock further down the steering column (and I believe column locks where mandatory here since the early 1960s). I can try to dig out this article again.

Rgds
Thorsten

Whilst on the subject of oddities, does anyone have any interest in "period" audio? The car has another weird "feature" that looks like a Philips dictating machine or maybe an 8 track? When I get it home I'll take some photos of it so we can try and identify it but it's a strange thing, unfortunately incomplete I think.

Archived