Steering rack and ratio

Einar

I’m about to change the steering rack on the Vitesse. It is a Vitesse 6 but now fitted with a 2l Mk2 engine. As far as I’ve understood Triumph change the steering ratio pinion to make the turning easier/lighter due to the heavier 2l engine (heavier than the 1600 engine originally in the Vit 6). Rimmer provides two racks – one “standard” and one “high ratio”. The standard provides “lock-to-lock” in 3.5 turns while the “high ratio” provides “lock-to-lock” in 2.5 turns. I'm not able to agree with myself which one will be the lightest/easiest to turn  :P. I would like to fit the easier/lighter one. Note: I'm not using the car for racing!

Can anyone convince me which one to choose?

Yes, just what I thought. However, Rimmer suggested high ratio – 2.5 turns: “better turning and easier to use”. The one presently in the car do 3.5 turns and I do believe that is the original one for Vit 6/1600 engine, but not sure…..

there were  only  two racks  the 4 pot has a plain spline input shaft  high ratio  for light engine
the 6 pot has a groove/anulus turned  around the spline to identify its the low ratio . for heavy engine
this is in addition to the groove for the clamp bolt
all vitesse and gt6 have this one as std.  you have to raise/remove  the coupling clamp  to see this  groove .

many reconditioners will say they are all the same ...worn that tee shirt.

if you fit the  high ratio you may need 4 shreaded wheat to park it , fit a smaller handwheel and you need 6 for breaky and a work out  quicker turns when out on the road but manouvers are hopeless

fine if you have the biceps of an commando but  hopeless if you are a retired layabout .

Pete