Steering Arm / Front Vertical Link

cbjroms

I am trying to work out how the steering arm on my 13/60 attaches to the front vertical link. The Haynes manual and parts diagrams online (eg Canleys) seem to be unclear.

The steering arm is fitted onto the stub axle and has another hole which is unthreaded and lines-up with a threaded hole in the vertical link.

So I am thinking that the bolt (7/16 x 113/16) should go through the steering arm, through the disc shield and then into the threaded section of the vertical link. But the parts diagrams suggest that the bolt goes through the vertical link, through the disc shield? and then through the steering arm. Yet no nut is shown on the parts diagram and the steering arm hole is unthreaded!

In some ways it makes more sense for the bolt to go in from outside so that there is no risk of a longer bolt fouling the hub?

I am sure that I have seen photos where this bolt has been shown with a nut?

Would really appreciate some clarification.

Thanks

Chris

Don't know if this helps, but this is my vertical link after a rebuild.

The bolt does go in from the outside, the bolt head clears the hub as that bit of the shield is stepped in over. It goes through the disc shield, then the caliper bracket, then the vertical link, then the steering arm, then a nut on the end.

The problem is that most diagrams have the shield and link on two different pages, one on the brakes page, the other on the front suspension page.

Thanks for the photo GarthT

But I don't understand why the hole in the vertical link has a thread cut in it (ie exactly like the other two holes that are threaded for the caliper bolts) if the bolt goes through from the outside?

Was yours threaded?

Chris

Hi Chris,

GarthT's picture shows the "older" vertical link with 4 holes (early Herald, Spitfire,Vitesse, Gt6).

If you look at the spitfire 1500 section in the canley classics catalogs, you see that the bolt 159514 is mounted as you suggested.
From the inside through the lever and the dust shield into the threaded vertical link.
I think the wrong location in the parts catalogs is because the pictures are not completely new drawn after updates.
The plate for the 13/60 for example shows the right bolt (159514) but in the wrong position and no nut is shown anywhere.

Cheers
Harry

Archived