Steering rack ratios

Nick Jones

Have solid rack mounts (machined ones) and proper UJ on my Vitesse with 7 pinion rack.  Steering is very direct on the move (heavy when parking though) but no vibration or harshness to report.

The proper Triumph rack mounts that came with this rack have steel dowels in their top section which engage in holes in the rack tube - so no positioning/sliding issues there.  Don't remember ever seeing  this nylon tensioning button you mention Pete?  Certainly isn't one on the 948 rack......

Nick

Nick if there is one.. so not all have this offending little bit of plastic,  
there is just a hole in underside of the rack tube on the  passenger side , the rubber mount holds the thing  in place.
seen 3 missing ones,

Moss Europe  show it in there listing but its drawn as a lhd rack and the button/plug is shown on the o/s for some reason .

In Spitfire  pdf  page 56  item 66    
66 145108 £2.35 PLUG, nylon

so shown on top and wrong hand but its there     Ha !

Pete

Right, got the ebay Spitfire rack. And it really is a Spitfire rack with a 7 tooth pinion in good condition.

The pic below shows that as correctly mentioned above, the 6 tooth pinions (GT6, Vitesse, Saloon etc) have a ring machined in the splines near the bottom and the 7 tooth pinions don't.

It also shows the difference between the very early racks and all the others.  The early rack (left) has no buffers for the rubber mounts and a hole (just visible) to locate the pin in the alloy clamp.  There's another hole at the other end for the other clamp and again, no buffer plate, just a plain tube.

Interesting to note that having said I've never seen a rack with a hole in for the anti-rattle button, this latest rack has one, but no button in it.  I'm now fully educated  :)

If anyone has a use for this, presumably quite rare, early rack, then drop me a PM 'cause I don't.  It has a 6 tooth pinion for some reason (may or may not be original) which has some rust pitting.  Not sure about the condition otherwise as I haven't dismantled it any further but the gaiters are intact and the ball joints feel good.  Clamps would also be available.

Cheers

Nick

25 years ago when I put a replacement rack on my Vit Mk 2 it was from a Spit Mk 3 and I used aliminium mounts. The steering was transformed. I recall buying several replacement sets of rubber mounts which were frankly crap in comparison as they very quickly wore out again and you'd have the rack moving side to side in no time which happens if larger wheels and tyres are fitted which I had done. The ali mounts kept the rack from moving around when cornering which then was a real bonus as the OE design was frankly not up to the job. If I recall the Spit Mk 3 rack was something like 3.2 turns side to side where as the Vit Mk 2 rack was 3.7 turns. Anyway the driving experience was transformed as the car went only where you pointed it and not via somewhere else. However parking slow manoevring was harder as the steering was noticeably heavier. Mind you I did have 175 tyres on the car with the 5.5J steel wheels. But on reflection it was 10,000,000 times better.

That's my first post over. How did it go?

Archived