Steering rack ratios

Nick Jones

I had always understood that all Herald and Spitfires had a "quick rack" with 7 tooth pinion and with the Vitesse and GT6 having a 6 tooth pinion.
However, today I dismantled the rack recently taken from a 948 Herald in a breakers to find a 6 tooth pinion.  A disappointment as I'd been planning to "quicken" the rack in my PI with it.

The Herald seemed mostly original and fairly low mileage with the rack looking as old and disreputable as the rest.  With best part of 50 years history it could have been changed before I guess - or were they different to begin with?

Cheers

Nick

As I understand it, the majority of Triumphs are 6 tooth.  GT6, Vitesse, non PAS saloons, Dolomites all with 6. Just Spit and Herald with 7, hadn't considered the 1300 FWD I must admit.  I note Glens remark about Vitesse 1600 - a bit surprising as the engine weighs just as much as any other Vitesse engine!

Anything quicker is likely to have a different rack bar and thus be completely different.  The pinions are interchangeable on the others apparently.

Have just scored a Spit rack on evil bay.  If this has 6 teeth also I shall be very irritated!

Nick

Edit:  Very easy to check Mike,  Just back of the big nut a few turns to reduce the sideload on the rack bar, then remove the circlip holding the pinion bush and pull..... count the teeth.  Re-assembly is the reverse - if reluctant, back off the big nut a bit more.

hmmn I can see no reason for the fwd to have a quicker rack but it could be a throwback to the good old recon exchange rack days when "one size fits all" and no matter what you took it was lucky dip what you got back.  

Incidently a Sprint is supposed to have a different ratio to other Dolomites I believe.

More investigation reqd I think.

I'll be most annoyed if I have a shed full of 6 toothers which of course is the other possibility    :-/

Just to throw my ideas into the debate, 7 tooth pinion gives quicker and heavier steering, then the 7 tooth pinion gives slower and lighter steering (increased mechanical advantage )
Iirc with the 1300fwd to the Dolomite, it was down to what size of steering wheel you had, all cars (1300fwd onward ) had 7 tooth pinion until the smaller diameter steering wheel was introduced then the gearing was changed.

I was looking to see if there was a quicker rack for my fwd and was looking at the "Quick rack" that rimmers sell but then realized this was actually a fwd steering rack as a number of people who have used it reported that the track rods where longer, as all people know(?) the fwd cars have a wider front track.

But sorry Nick, i guess this doesn't help with your cars

Gordon

1337 wrote:
FWIW:  The steering rack on pre 1962 Heralds cars is 3.6 turns, lock to lock, compared with the later 3.7 turns lock to lock.
C.

...and it mounts a bit differently as well, those earlier cars having essentially "solid" mounts, while the later ones had a rubber-bushed mount.

herald948 wrote:

...and it mounts a bit differently as well, those earlier cars having essentially "solid" mounts, while the later ones had a rubber-bushed mount.

Well, that's interesting.  The one I liberated from the 948 had the solid mounts (also liberated), which were different from any I've seen before in having steel location dowels in their top-halves engaging in holes in the rack tube.  This suggests a proper early rack.... which nevertheless had a 6 tooth pinion which is a dead ringer for the one in my PI  :-/  Puzzled now  :(

Hope this Spitty one that's coming will provide.

Nick

Just to put a spanner in the works, when steering racks are reconditioned, often some rather low quality reconditioners probably use(d) a mish-mash of racks and pinions, so on a very old car with a chequered past or unknown history, there is little guarantee that all will be as it seems.  Saying that, I don't recall ever encountering a Herald or Herald derived car with a knackered steering rack.

Mark

Sure, I realise that - been there before.  Loathe re-con stuff.   However, one reason for taking this rack in the first place is that the donor car is relatively low mileage and the rack looked pretty original, right down to the wire ties on the gaiters.  Also, I also have not had wear issues with Herald racks in the past.  Vitesses and Dolomites - oh yes! But then they have a harder life.

Nick

ferny wrote:
Slight tangent, but what difference do the solid mounts make in every-day driving? Does it just transmit a lot more vibration through the steering wheel? They're something I've been considering for a while.

Hi Ferny

I fitted solid mounts in the Vitesse soon after I bought it after finding the rubber ones had turned to mush and the rack was moving left and right as I turned the wheel.

As you can imagine they tigtenened things up no end and I don't notice any vibration, so "way to go" I say.

Glen.

I have had ally mounts on my cars for the last 18 years. No issues with vibrations, though on the spitfire the rack got bent during the big accident. I doubt anything would have stopped that though.
The poly bushes do look a good idea, especially as the ally ones leave a gap either siderelying on a tight fit to stop the rack moving side to side. Get that tlerance wrong and the rack will either move, or lock up solid (as happened to a friends, obviously machined wrongly a long time ago)

and the short width ally mounts allow the passenger side small plastic  anti rattle plunger to fall out ,
only ever found Moss sell(list) this little part. solution is use a jublilee clip to cover the hole and support the plunger.
the std rubber mount covers this , ,
the plunger is there to stop  rack rattle on poor road surfaces

polybush sounds a much better compromise

Peter

Archived