Heavy steering lacks feel too.

Freebird

Hi all.

My Vitesse has always had vague, heavy steering, it also has lots of play when I first bought it, but I've sorted that out with a new rack and UJ.

I've set the toe in and made sure the hubs are free to swivel with the rack disconected. With the wheels off the ground the steering effort seems to be about right given it has a new rack which is still a bit tight.

My next theory is that the Revolution alloy wheels fitted may be of the wrong offset.

What should the offset be? As I undersatnd it this is measured from the centre of the tyre tread (or better still, the rim if you can get to it) to the face of the wheel where it abuts the hub.

All the best

Glen (he of huge upper arm strength)

I'd suggest see if you can try another Vitesse to see how its steering feels, compared with a modern car it will definately be heavier but it's impossible to say how heavy via the forum. The steering on my Herald isn't exceptionally heavy even though I've got a small steering wheel but then the 6 pot Vitesse engine is sure to make a difference.

It may have had a Herald steering rack fitted. The genuine Vitesse one was a lower ratio.......... more turns lock to lock in order to counteract the heavier engine..........It was also originally designed to run on skinnier crossplies, which a LOT less grip than your wider radials.

Archived