mpbarrett

Spent the last couple of weeks with my TR6 in the garage. Done lots of stuff on it (new drive shafts, throttle linkage service etc). Next job is to start on the front suspension, this is all new to me but seems very (triumph) familiar. It has trunnions but I notice they have been greased. Do TR6 trunnions need to be greased or oiled? Are they as susceptible to breaking as the small chassis cars?

My car is interesting, very original and has been looked after, but all the original throttle linkage all carefully oiled but very worn! Same with the rear UJ, carefully greased but worn out! No nasty surprises yet. Have fitted new linkage and serviced the car and it now goes much better, beginning to enjoy it!

Mike

Hi Mike,
             if you look around all the forums the answer to oil/grease for the TRunnions will be the same as what oil to put in the overdrive.

A thick oil will work. A good grease will work. A semi liquid grease will work. A water resistant grease will work.
Don't use anything that is a GL5 type lubricant as it may damage the TRunnion.

Is your TRunnion oil tight at the bottom?
Oils are not normally water resistant.

People think that as oil is runny it will keep the pressure faces constantly lubricated - sadly this is not so.
It will get squeezed away, and possibly easier than a good grease.

I use a grease and re-apply every year. Every third year I take it all apart for a good clean, and start again.

Roger

• 4 months later...

2601 wrote:
Hi Mike,

People think that as oil is runny it will keep the pressure faces constantly lubricated - sadly this is not so.
It will get squeezed away, and possibly easier than a good grease.

Roger

Actually, this is not quite correct... The trunnions require oil: a hypoid gear oil is the best for this purpose: it is designed to be used in extreme pressures between gear teeth, and does coat the threads properly, as  indicated by the factory requirement. A grease is not a good option- while it does seem to work ok, it also hardens, and does not provide proper lubrication of the trunnions. The service manual, IIRC, specifically states to not use grease...  You will find a higher incidence of wear due to the grease. I always use hypoid gear oil on my trunnions...

Scott

9019 wrote:

Actually, this is not quite correct... The trunnions require oil: a hypoid gear oil is the best for this purpose: it is designed to be used in extreme pressures between gear teeth, and does coat the threads properly, as  indicated by the factory requirement. A grease is not a good option- while it does seem to work ok, it also hardens, and does not provide proper lubrication of the trunnions. The service manual, IIRC, specifically states to not use grease...  You will find a higher incidence of wear due to the grease. I always use hypoid gear oil on my trunnions...

Scott

thanks guys.
for the moment I have greased the trunnions as they have been regularly greased in the past.
I am planning toe replace all the bushes on the front suspension as they are very worn (perished...) and when I do that will clean and oil the trunnions.

cheers
mike