Squeaky trunnion

Greased lightning

I think you need to check over the suspension and try to identify the source of the squeaking. It is more likely to be bushes or the shock than the trunnion as the trunnion is what allows the wheel to turn.

You can change the trunnion by undoing the trunnion bolt after jacking up the defective side then unscrewing the trunnion from the vertical link.

I just suspect that it is something else to blame.

best of luck, Neil

Thanks Neil. The noise is coming from the bush where the trunnion attaches to the lower wishbone. From what I can gather from earlier threads this is not where the trunnion tends to fail so should be safe to carry on driving. Does anyone know what might make the bush squeak and whether it is possible to cure it?

It sounds like the trunnion bush then which is around 5 squid. Probably best to change both sides as they may be worn. These trunnion bushes are bolt with top-hat plastic shaped spacer and metal end caps. I imagine that the squeaking is due to wear. I would change them asap.

To change them you need to jack up one side, remove the trunnion bolt that passes through the bush then remove the bush including washers (etc). It may be that there is little in the way of lubrication. Fitting new is the reverse!

It might be a good idea whilst you are there to oil the trunnions and give everything a good once over.

Best of luck, Neil

You were right Rarebits. Both holes were elongated, one vertically & 1 horizontally. I carried on & fitted new bushes in the trunnion but have taken the car off the road until new lower wishbones are fitted. My main concern was that even with the nut torqued up to 38 lb-ft, as the manual recommends, the head of the bolt still turns when you turn the nut with a normal socket. I assume that the bolt head is not clamping hard enough due to the hole being elongated, so the nut could maybe work itself loose. The old bolt was very badly galled, as was the inside of the steel sleeve, so I think that was causing the squeak rather than the holes.

Archived