Rear trunnion grease nipple size?

mazfg

If its the same as the front trunnions which I suspect it is, it will be 1/4" UNF.

I'm sure the grease nipple is for the rear wheel bearings and not the trunnion, but I'm sure someone on here can confirm this for definite?

Its probably best to put the blanking plug back when you have used the grease gun, although I keep a grease nipple in all the time on my Front Trunnions, I just make sure I clean the nipple before using the Grease (Oil) Gun?

Gary

garyf wrote:
If its the same as the front trunnions which I suspect it is, it will be 1/4" UNF.

I'm sure the grease nipple is for the rear wheel bearings and not the trunnion, but I'm sure someone on here can confirm this for definite?

Its probably best to put the blanking plug back when you have used the grease gun, although I keep a grease nipple in all the time on my Front Trunnions, I just make sure I clean the nipple before using the Grease (Oil) Gun?

Gary

Its not the same as the front 3/8 UNF and its grease not oil as the front is.

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1317967847/s-5/highlight-grease+nipple/#num5

I did start this thread before but still didn't get an exact answer... The blank plugs on the rear trunnions look bigger...? Best for me to remove and measure the thread me thinks.

3398 wrote:

1/8" seems quite small compared to the 1.4"...but I have a feeling BSP is bigger than the sizes they make out....or could be wrong...

Just had a look on Wikipedia, the 1/8" BSP (British Standard Pipe) refers to the internal diameter of the pipe, so this will be the size of the drilling for the grease?

Simples ;)

...and just to answer the other question, this only greases the hub bearings and not the trunnion itself.  There was some discussion from somebody a few years ago who was thinking of creating a 1/8" diameter passage between the grease feed to the hub bearings up into the centre of the trunnion, so it came out into the small space between the top hat bushes.

Good idea but technically difficult I would think. Anyone know if anything came of it?

That was a while back Mike if it was my post.
Maybe someone else came up with the same idea.
I drilled mine on the Spit 4 back in 1976 and posted about it some years ago in case it may be of interest to someone.  Did not notice any interest at the time.
Was not difficult.  Start at base of drilling for the grease nipple and aim at  the centre of the boring for the bushes.
Still running with the same bushes and they were in good nick when I had a look at them after about 20 years of daily use.  Still nothing to suggest a problem.

As stated in the post linked above, there are only two sizes of nipple used as original on a Herald - 1/4"UNF and 1/8"BSP. Keep a handful of each in stock and you won't go far wrong.
The only likely deviation is with the universal joints. The original joints all used a 1/8"UNF nipple, some of the modern replacements (including those of decent quality) use a metric equivalent,

Cheers,
Bill.

Archived