Anti roll bar bent

mazfg

Ive got 4 of the smaller ones liggin about, and ALL are bent as you say. And the others I had, were also bent.
the bigger ones dont seem to doo this,

So im thinking they were designed like this, so as to even the load up, whenst driving just one up,
as if the  bar is up on drivers side, it will go down a little when you sit in it, so keeping car level,cos bar is under tension.
just my thinking on this, but may be rang.  but it just seems too much of a coincidence that all ive seen are bent.

some one got a brand new one to say diff,!!!

Marcus

I thought mine was bent as well. Spent ages trying to straighten it but it didn't work. Told someone who knows Heralds very well and they said that's how they're meant to be...

My car is higher on the drivers side until it gets sat in and then it levels. It's the same situation with and without the arb. I now don't use one you see.

1218 wrote:
Is it bent or does just one side stick up?  I thought that they level out once fitted and under tension.  The usual way of bending them was by using the ARB as an attachment for a towrope.

Mark

That's what I meant, they're all like it, however they will bend if you use it to tow the car with.

M.

When you say it is higher on the drivers side is that as viewed from the rear MINE IS LIKE THAT and I was thinking that maybe the spring was weak on the rear. If it levels out when someone sits in the car what happens when someone gets in the passenger side does it go back to being down on the near side ????

ferny wrote:
I thought mine was bent as well. Spent ages trying to straighten it but it didn't work. Told someone who knows Heralds very well and they said that's how they're meant to be...

My car is higher on the drivers side until it gets sat in and then it levels. It's the same situation with and without the arb. I now don't use one you see.

2580 wrote:
When you say it is higher on the drivers side is that as viewed from the rear MINE IS LIKE THAT and I was thinking that maybe the spring was weak on the rear. If it levels out when someone sits in the car what happens when someone gets in the passenger side does it go back to being down on the near side ????

I've no idea what happens when there's a passenger. ;D
There was a Herald on the 10CR which was also high on the drivers side. I'm yet to see one high on the passenger when unladed.

I've switched the rear spring around and it makes no difference. A well known triumph business told me that the only use of the word "front" on the spring is so they know if it's been turned around when a car comes in with the same issue.  ;D The only other avenue I can go down is to check the chassis for twisting. It looks fine when underneath and handles fine even at and beyond the limit so I can't be arsed to check.

Laid on a flat surface both the ends of the ARB should lay flat. The reason one end is usually higher than the other is because its the passenger side, and the drivers side has had to work harder, always a driver on board not always a passenger. All the ARB we are talking about are old and worn. I usually reverse it when refitting.  The few I have are all slightly twisted. Not a problem unless really bad. I have adjustable links from Jon Wolfe so can be compensated for.

Mark

93 wrote:
Laid on a flat surface both the ends of the ARB should lay flat. The reason one end is usually higher than the other is because its the passenger side, and the drivers side has had to work harder, always a driver on board not always a passenger. All the ARB we are talking about are old and worn. I usually reverse it when refitting.  The few I have are all slightly twisted. Not a problem unless really bad. I have adjustable links from Jon Wolfe so can be compensated for.

Mark

Ok, so your saying that the higher end would have been the passenger side? and when re-fitting make this the drivers side? It's only up about 4inches when laid flat. Couldn't remember which side was which...as I didn't notice it til the droplinks came off.

Thanks for all the advice!

If you are saying that there is a four inch discrepancy between one end to the other when laid on a flat surface then that is well and truly twisted and I would definitely replace it. I am talking about half an inch twist, if it's four inches it's knackered.

Mark

Ok, I'll take a photo and post, see what you think?

I'd really hoped to still be able to use my existing one.......costs are mounting more as I do my front suspension, I also have bought new droplinks, poly bushes and new clamp kit.

I also see that you can no longer get the early ARB's.. Rimmers do the later type with a conversion kit... anyone know how different it really is. The kit just looks like it has standard ubolts, bushes and clamps? Is the bar thicker? Is that the difference?

Cheers

Just means the more stressed drivers side, now becomes the passenger side, higher side is now the drivers side. Driven for enough years it will twist the other way.  I have never seen a car actually sitting higher at the front on one side than the other due to the ARB. Actual ride hight is set by the springs and position of the pans on the shocks.

Mark

Would certainly change the side the stressed side was on but same side would be high I'm afraid Mark.
The twist could be anywhere along the bar depending where the weakest point is, IF it has developed during use.  
The 4" discrepancy between the end heights would suggest there is a problem with that bar and should be replaced as you recommended Mark.

Yes your correct.  I flip them over purely so that the less worn or stressed side now becomes the drivers side. if there was any more than half inch deviation from one end to the other I personally would replace it. A small amount of twist can be compensated for by adjustable drop links.

Mark

Archived