timing / cam belt broken!

mr vigton

hi, first post on here and its a biggie - driving homefrom work yesterday and the timing belt broke ( april fools day aswell....) the engine still turns over but the top pulley doesn't move - i'm hoping that given it still turns over the engines not wrecked? who reckons i'll get away with just replacing the timing belt? any ideas???

the pukka workshop manual (not haynes) says bent valves will happen.
having had this happen  due to tensioner failure i can confirm this, had difficulty getting the valves.

ours was 4 inlets and 3 exhaust valves accelerating through 50mph in third
you may well find the head needs skimming as well when taken off, 6 thou warp common, and corrosion more so
avoid ultraparts head gasket sets they are crap!

Take it apart and have a look. We had an Acclaim blow a cambelt and a new one was all it needed, contrary to popular expectations. It continued for years after that, and had to have a body transplant as the engine kept going longer than the body.

ok caroline thanks for the positive ( and encouraging ) reply - i had heard a few years back from various sources ( inc andy ellis at a222 ) that timing belt failure doesn't usually wreck the acclaim engine - so heres hoping... i'll try and get a look at it some time soon and hopefully it'll be good for another 28 years!

ok - update time - put a new timing belt on today and.....RESULT!! - runs like a dream...ace! Also very pleased with ones self as i've not done a timing belt before but suprisingly straightforward - might have ago at the old golf gti next...previous posts on here proved very useful as did having 3 different types of workshop manual...good old acclaims eh? kind of new it would be ok.......

• 5 months later...

This has just happend to me with Becky II. I was doing 70 on the M62 when the engine just stopped. In 6 years of Acclaim ownership this is the first time I've had to replace the timing belt. Fortunately, I had a timing belt in the garage and after fitting it all is well once again so it seems that valves don't meet pistons when the timing belt lets go.

nice work!...my belt hadn't actually snapped in the end - all the teeth had just shredded off it and it was spinning on the bottom pulley!! when i took it off i was somewhat alarmed/surprised to discover the word HONDA  stamped on it so i wonder if it was the original belt...? if it was it managed 60k miles over 28 years which i suppose isn't too bad............................i've always understood the acclaim engine to be 'non - contact' ie: the valves/pistons don't touch- i was just looking for confirmation of this which was why i posted the question originally...i dont think it matters how fast your going etc when it goes despite what previous posts say.......

Archived