Tom2000

Your thoughts on this setup:
- 1500 bottom end
- 1300 head, +.35 skim & Kent TH2 cam
- HS4 + K&N
- 4-2-1 manifold

Brothers MKIV has blown head gasket quite badly and suspect rings have gone, have sourced HS4s, K&N, NOS TH2 and payen gaskets for less than at tonne. I've read that the TH2 isn't a great cam for the 1500 due to it's excessive lift.

Chris, whilst I appreciate that the TR5 cam is a better choice I do not have a TR5 cam I have a TH2 cam! My brothers MKIV already has a 1500 bottom end with a 1300 head running on HS2's, the head gasket failed and since I have experienced this myself I will be rebuilding the top end of the engine. I figured putting a set of HS4's on would be more suitable and in looking for some managed to get a good set of HS4's, K&N air filters and a new old stock TH2 cam for under £100.

HENCE.. my question around the suitability of the TH2 cam in this setup, not a hypothetical one I don't have.

Tom, that the th2 from your old engine,!!!
if so, will it no be a bit ..peekeee.. in this set up , ! You the best judge, if it were your old Cam,

But all depends on if he wants to rev it, or just doodle about.
as the vast majority o the time down your end, you will be no going that fast due to congestion,
may be worth taking this onboard whenst you talking to him

Marcus

Common Bloke here agen, ;) ;)

the th2, is 295 degs, so will be not much good in a 1500, as a 295 cam is generally for higher revs.
and the 1500 is not one.
so im thinking it will be starting to work at 4500 rpms, IF its set up ok,.
may get it to work better on EEM
so in my mind, for road use, forget it.

But others may disagree.

Marcus Commonicus  ;)

1500 with flat-top pistons?  1300 head with a biggish skim?  Head gasket blowing?  Alarm bells?  Dunno what CR you have (difficult to see how it can be anything but excessive), but a wild cam might be the only thing stopping more serious damage?

Nick

EDIT:  Busted rings and/or ring-land damage can also be due to detonation caused by excessive CR

Nick_Jones wrote:
1500 with flat-top pistons?  1300 head with a biggish skim?  Head gasket blowing?  Alarm bells?  Dunno what CR you have (difficult to see how it can be anything but excessive), but a wild cam might be the only thing stopping more serious damage?

Nick

EDIT:  Busted rings and/or ring-land damage can also be due to detonation caused by excessive CR

Nick so you're aware the head has yet to be skimmed, the MKIV we are talking about was received with broken bearings (whilst running) a fully standard 1300 setup. The car went to a local garage that the family trusts well, they recommended sourcing a replacement bottom end as it would be cheaper than the parts and labour combined, they then sourced this engine from Anglian Triumph, however I suspect that the garage may not have specified what bottom end was required, hence receiving an engine with a 1500 and 1300 head. Since it's not my car I never noticed.

The car has run fine for nearly two years and has covered nearly 3,000 miles during that period. Also to note, the headgasket was not a Payen head gasket but a cheaper part. None the less it looks like the TH2 will get put on ebay.

No need for aggression - not trying to score points, just highlight possible issues. Your original post was not entirely clear about which elements of the list were current and which projected....

1300 head on 1500 bottom end will give fairly high CR even without a skim as the 1300 has a smaller chamber volume from the factory.  This will actually be more of a problem with a standard or mild cam than a more aggressive one as the mild cams have a better trapping efficiency.

3000 miles isn't very much, but the cheap gasket probably didn't help and the head may not have been re-torqued?
You also say "suspect rings have gone" - Is this on the 3000 mile old 1500 bottom end (or have I misunderstood again) 'cause they ought to last longer than that.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
No need for aggression - not trying to score points, just highlight possible issues. Your original post was not entirely clear about which elements of the list were current and which projected....

1300 head on 1500 bottom end will give fairly high CR even without a skim as the 1300 has a smaller chamber volume from the factory.  This will actually be more of a problem with a standard or mild cam than a more aggressive one as the mild cams have a better trapping efficiency.

3000 miles isn't very much, but the cheap gasket probably didn't help and the head may not have been re-torqued?
You also say "suspect rings have gone" - Is this on the 3000 mile old 1500 bottom end (or have I misunderstood again) 'cause they ought to last longer than that.

Nick

Nick sorry if you thought my post was aggresive, it wasn't written with that intent.

3,000 miles isn't a lot but the car has been driven hard and fast without being warmed up properly and after being sat mostly for long periods without use, suspect the rings as there is signs of oil on the third cylinder. and yes it's on the 3000 mile old 1500 bottom end (however it was a second hand unit) so am unaware of the condition it was originally supplied in.

Archived