Excessive positive camber?

Olip100

Hello all,

Hopefully just a quick question.

Checking out the rear of the Mk1 Vitesse the other day I noticed the camber on the rear wheels. I've heard that early Triumphs had a slight positive camber but to me this seems excessive.

It's worth saying that it steers straight and the tyres wear looks ok.

But thought I'd ask the forum whether this is normal?

Cheers,

Oli

Has it just been jacked up?

If it is always more positive than other cars, it could be a newish spring? And needs to settle. Or possibly seized rear trunnions ( though that would be a bit odd, seizing in a jacked-up position)

If everything is ok, just a bit high, you could fit a lowering block. (Covering as many things as possible here)

Thanks, that makes sense! For now I'll just link photos in.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HJbV2k112gwy57py8 

Basically it hasn't been jacked. I had just been driving it.

To my knowledge the springs are not new - in fact the rear rides pretty low anyway. Because of this I have assumed the springs are sagging. If I lower the suspension, the exhaust will begin to catch random debris.

Also could it be that the spring end eye bolts have been tightened up with the wheels off the ground (contrary to the WSM procedure) so that theres extra resistance against the suspension settling normally or is this just a myth?

You need to look at the camber with the car laden, i.e. bums on seats. Where the car is sitting when it is empty is irrelevant, If you set it up to be negative when empty it may well be eunning on the inside of the tyres when you get in it. 

Keith

Quoted from glang-

Also could it be that the spring end eye bolts have been tightened up with the wheels off the ground (contrary to the WSM procedure) so that theres extra resistance against the suspension settling normally or is this just a myth?

Not entirely a myth. Tightening the bolts into the rubber bush while off the ground does add a small resistance to settling. The thing that makes a big difference, though, is if the crush tube in the trunnion bush is too short, then that bolt clamps things up solid.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Interesting point from Keith about checking the car when laden. I'll give that a go at the weekend and take some more photos. 

Given that no one is saying: your camber is all wrong, something must be busted. I'm feeling ok with it. 

Cheers