Engine Mount update

dazzer

Well i've ordered an Aussie made standard engine mount from Greg Tunstall here in Brisbane. He swears he's been using them for 20 years without a problem - including in his monster 2.7 pi.

Made by these guys, so if you're looking for something more betterer Andy, may be worth hunting through the catalogues?
http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/products/

lagerzok wrote:
http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/pdf/vibration-isolators/md.pdf

These would basically bolt straight in apart from needing a M12 stud

Extra HD and diesel proof - probably well expensive

Yeah, but how many people have a tech spec sheet for their engine mounts. You'd be king of the car park  :K)

... well spotted though. If this next one won't cope with the vibes might have to try it.

Chris's price is competitive for the Aussie-made mounts, no real difference in price.

I'll post up my collection of dead mounts when I get to changing over.

Not necessary for a road car - but like dazzer I destroy these regularly in competition - and its a scrutineering check - real bugger to change quickly at a meeting if they think they are U/S and not always easy to spot - I've missed practice before because of a broken one - my fault true but it was one of my best Stanpart originals - that I will now save for road cars.

Changed my latest mangled mount for a Mackays one yesterday... here's a line up of all the failed ones next to the brand spanker.

It's always the passenger side. On fitting I find the engine wants to sit a few inches closer to the wing than where it actually mounts so it's a squeeze to fit.

I run the engine with loose mounts to make it sit nicely and notice that on revving the engine wants to move towards the passenger wing too, and that seems to be what's twisting the mounts.

Is this typical?

Many engine mounts have a metal lip over the top of the mount on the side of the engine that lifts when power is on. (Passenger side on a RHD car)
Would it be possible to fit a metal bracket, with such a lip, under the engine mount, on a car used for track work?

Greeks wrote:
Is this typical?

Its worth checking which crossmember/spacer combination you have.

Early cars upto '75 had a spacers under each engine mount. with the engine central.

Later cars post '75 had a different set of holes where the engine was shifted to the left (from the drivers seat). This has two spacers under the N/S left mount (by the battery) and no spacers on the O/S.

The later crossmember can be identified by a second set of holes, that are only drilled through one of the pressings for the OE holes. (Hope that makes sense?)
The change is to accomodate the 2500S inlet & HS6's.

My car is an 'S' and I have two spacers under the PAS ... although the engine is Mk1 Pi. And the guy who fitted it knows them like the back of his hand.

In situ the mount looks under tension on the engine side. I've been considering whether to try adapting another bracket from a spare engine as i'm not convinced this mount will last too long either. :-/

... and come to think of it I think I have noticed a couple of 'one skin thick' holes so the x-member must be correct.