Engine Mount update

dazzer

OK I last reported that the widely available reasonably priced engine mounts were inadequate for any type of competition or spirited driving. For those of a technical mind I would class them as 'Utter pants'. The rubber just comes away from the base plate and centre plate.

They would probably work fine for tootling about and smooth clutch/ auto engagement. However most of the road rally events have at least 16 tests some into the 20s . Each test consists of max revs, drop the clutch, light the back end up, de-clutch, handbrake, max power again, drop the clutch, etc, etc so it's pretty abusive.

Previously I used some of CWs better quality engine mounts and although not designed for the above they did last for at least six events before they to parted company.

After much searching I have located some engine mounts through Vibra-Technics. very similar to Caterham 7 mounts. They are exactly the same depth as the 2000 standard items and the base fixing centres are only 2mm adrift so minimal modification required. The top centre Stud is M10 so the front engine plate mount might need the holes enlarging. They also have a positive rebound/check feature to stop the application of sudden torque pulling them apart. I'll report back with pics when fitted.

Oh I forgot to mention they are more expensive at £70+Vat a pair, but not much more than the better quality standard spec mounts.

Cheers
Dazzer

1700 wrote:
wish we could find an easy replacement for the seat diaphrams.

Pirelli webbing - loads of it on Ebay - bit of a struggle to get the right tension but well worth doing.  I think it made the seat I used it on more comfortable than the passenger seat  which has a new standard diaphragm.  Back was starting to twinge a bit on RBRR when I was resting  - but that might have been because of Andy's driving  ;)

Mark

Good find!

My Fiesta engine mounts are still looking fine - and they only cost £ 8.50 the pair.....  But I've only done about 500 miles and no rally stages, so can't consider them fully tested yet  :P.

The Fiesta mounts have M10 studs and they fitted the engine front-plate no bother so you should be ok there.

Nick

Hello darren,

I had a quick look at the Vibra-Technics website and gave up quite quickly. Probably fine if you are looking for a specific marque, but tedious to browse their products. What car were the ones you found from? The main thing I think is the restraint to prevent excessive movement in harsh use.

Alec

Hi All

Alec if you look at the kit car tab on the website home page then choose Caterham 7, you'll get the general idea of the mount design. They were really helpful and have actually made the mounts up to be as near as the measurements I emailed over. there isn't a part number for them as yet.

If it all works out ok then another option to consider for our motors. One things for sure I'll be testing them to the limit so for everything else they should be ok.

I've even managed to pull the flanges off the new type subframe poly bushes a couple of times, but extra welds have held it altogether since.

Cheers
Darren

Here's the pics of the said new mounts. No modification required, base holes line up perfectly and if the same as Nicks exceptional value Fiesta mounts M10 centre stud, they should fit the engine front plate as well.

Height matches the originals exactly but they are much tougher with the added rebound retention feature so lets see me try and break these then.

Cheers
Dazzer

Hi Guys

They don't have a part number, they made them up to suit the dimensions I gave from a standard 2000 2.5 mount. 76mm centres (they fit even though some standard mounts are 74mm) mount is 35mm, centre stud is M10. Just mention to suit Triumph 2000. i did quote 240kg engine gearbox weight and 160bhp which was no problem as they are used on much more powerful stuff. Phil Bentley at Vibratechnics www.vibra-technics.co.uk made up the order, very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Darren

Greeks wrote:
Great work dazzer ... Mine are getting torn to shreds. Well it's always the passenger side. Shame they're so dear, maybe we could get a bulk order organised in a separate thread?

I am about to start a new threat on my spares 'club/group/fund' as a continuation of by Windscreen Fund which is now finished if there is interest.  Have a number of ideas for parts and this could be one.

If I did go ahead it would have to include the T2000/2500/2.5 Register (which means a club separate from the Register and CT for legal reasons though linked to them), and there would need to be others prepared to give active support.  I already have a sheet written outlining my plans.  I will start a new thread on this in a day or so.

Ted

• 2 months later...

Brian Englefield and I rallied a Group 2 1293 Cooper S in the late 60s competing on Internationals,Nationals and club stage events this was prior to building UKV701H the 2.5pi we used on the WCR in 1970,we used as engine mounts the BL Special Tuning Cooper S gear change extension housing mounting,these fitted without any mods. they consist if an heavy duty ball and socket joint encased in rubber,unbreakable.Probably still get them from one the Mini spares comanies around.
Keith Baker

• 2 months later...

Anyone done anything about this yet.

Mine don't just separate, they're getting torn in half :(

... and I doubt the fiesta stuff's available.

But hang on a minute. Is this what Keith is talking about? ... or at least the standard item.

http://www.classicmotoring.net.au/cmos/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_46&products_id=90&zenid=9e3b65dcbd64986856c73d827edf3a33

Cheeeeeeap option if so.

http://www.minispares.com/search/classic/21A956.aspx

Searched and searched for Special Tuning item but I'd say at this price they are not a ball joints!

Can any one suggest which balljoint it was? Probably BMC if used by abingdon.

If you can find a Triumph mounting with Stanpart in the rubber and  HD stamped on it they are tougher than old boots

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-MK1-AW11-1985-90-FRONT-LOWER-BALL-JOINT-BALLJOINT-x-1-/350575173882?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item519fe8a0fa&_uhb=1#ht_1209wt_907

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Volkswagen-Transporter-T4-1991-1996-Lower-Ball-Joint-Balljoint-x-2-701407361b-/360471052373?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53edbfc055&_uhb=1#ht_1179wt_1039

Something like this (but cheaper) could be suitable and indestructible

The update on the vibratechnics mounts is that they are bomb proof. Several rallies later they are going nowhere. I'd recommend these to anyone. You do get a little more vibration through the car, but its the type of vibration some people would pay a lot of money for... Job done.