Steven Lowe

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Afternoon,

Got the engine back in  and am waiting for new coolant hoses to arrive, i noticed that the heater hoses were really badly silted up! i back flushed the radiator while it was off it and seemed ok so what`s the best way to flush the rest of the system?

Flushing the engine well isnt so easy as the inlet and outlet waterways connect directly to the waterpump body and other than taking this off completely theres no way to get a good flow through.

There should be a little tap or plug low down on the block which in theory should let all the accumulated dirt drain out while you pour water in from the top but quite often the tap is seized (and snaps) or is blocked with sludge or wont close again afterwards......

the problem here is the use of too long bolts , they bottom out and tightening just strips the threads, m10 or 3/8 unc  will work on sump or timing cover  into the alloy block but do check the bolt lengths or you will just repeat the stripping 

invest in a steel one if needs must , they are belt and braces

Pete

After noon all,

came to start the 13/60 after a couple of weeks and won`t start! i took the fuel line off at the carb and put it into a jar to see if fuel was pumping through while i turned the engine at the key and not a drop! i tried the lever on the pump but not sure how it`s supposed to feel it felt a bit sloppy! the cars been nose up on ramps for a couple of weeks so how long should it take to pump through? i have a good spark at the points and plenty of fuel in. although i`m not sure how the reserve in the tank works, when you put fuel in should the lever be in the main position or does it matter!

I keep mine permanently selected to use the whole tank ie lever pointing across the car as I dont want it going onto reserve at an awkward moment.

Have you got fuel at the inlet to the pump cos if not it has to be sucked back over the syphon that the outlet pipe makes as it exits the top of the tank. This requires your pump to be in good condition and can take a while to pull the fuel through - if necessary you can carefully blow in the tank filler to pressurise it a little and help the process......  

Is the car still nose-up? That makes the pump's job marginally harder but I don't think that's the problem.

If all is working right, the pump should start to draw fuel through an empty pipe in two or three strokes of the priming lever. Ignore the reserve tap - if the tank's at least quarter full it makes no difference.

The priming lever should not feel sloppy if the outlet pipe is disconnected and poking into a jar. The only time it should feel loose is when there's pressure in the outlet pipe (due to full carbs) holding the diaphragm down. If the pump's fully dry, the lever is pulling against the diaphragm spring so you should feel it.

Morning all,

Good news the 13/60`s running thanks to you all again! i had to suck the fuel   through , very tasty!  the bad news is there`s still a very slight leak in the same area ( the sealing block) but everywhere else looks good, one other thing, one of the retaining nuts for the fuel pump is a long shanked nut with a screw driver slot in the end! what`s that all about?

yes maybe your pump isnt 100% then - all it needs is for one of the two non return valves to leak a little and itll still work but not efficiently. There are repair kits available but theyre almost the price of a replacement after market pump (which is what I went for with no problems). The pump fixing you mention doesnt sound standard as mine just has ordinary nuts and spring washers but if the flange doesnt leak its obviously doing the job.

With the sump and sealing block dont forget to check the tighteness of the bolts after a few heat cycles but dont overtighten as, especially with the sump, it can distort and effectively cut through the gasket.....

The nut you describe doesn't belong there. I'd swap it for a normal nut.

If it's a 5/16 UNF (which I think the pump to block studs are) then it sounds like a 1500 rocker cover nut. They changed to that on late engines to discourage mechanics from over-tightening them and crushing the rocker cover. Earlier engines had hex nuts and a torque setting of 1.5lbft, a.k.a. just beyond finger tight.