2.5 Vit Sump clearance

Freebird

Hi

I've now got my rebuilt 2.5 engine back in the Vit and it's running as sweet as a nut. One thing I do want to improve, however is the sump clearance.

The 2.5 has a longer throw crank than the original 2 litre and the sump is thicker at the front to accomodate it. The problem is that the sump sits on the steering rack before the engine mounts line up fully with the holes in the chassis.

This is described in this month's "courier" with the solution to fit a Vitesse sump and make small dents to clear the crank. Bit late now as the engine is in and with my tubular exhaust manifold, virtually impossible to get the sump off. The sump I took off was also a 2.5 version which had been beaten up to clear the rack, but the crank had worn half way through it from the inside, so I don't want to repeat that!

I'm thinking of getting a couple of rectangular spacers made up about 6mm thick to go between the engine mounting plates and the rubbers. These should lift the engine high enough to clear the rack. Can anyone see any problems with this solution? Bonnet clearance for example?

Cheers

Glen.

Freebird,
I'm surprised you got a 2.5 sump to fit, as I found the front chassis cross member fouled it - the step in the2.5 sump I had was more sloped, so that it projected further forward than a VItesse sump.

The solution is to beat out TWO bumps into the Vitesse sump.  I did this with a small pean headed hammer and a sand bag.  The official panel beaters bag is of leather, but I found that one made of denim, in fact the last foot of the leg of some old jeans, does very well for occasional use.    Sew up one end, put a plastic bag in side and fill it with sand (loosely, not tight) .  fold over the pastic bag's top and sew up the sand bag.  The plastic bag will help the sand to stay inside until you havef inished sewing!

The gap between the bumps should retain its' original height, to clear the rack.  Check for clearance by placing a small pice of BluTack in the bump and rotating the crank. Cut the BluTack with a sharp knife to see how thin it is, and go for at least 2mm of clearance.

The other way would be to beat a similar arch in a 2.5 sump to clear the rack.  However, this would need to go right up the wall of the sump, and I fear that it would crease and risk cracking at this point.

Vitesse bonnet clearance is marginal at the best.  If you have HS6 SUs on a 2.5 manifold, there is none, in fact you need a bonnet hole!  Try the BluTack on the dashpot tops to find what yours is.

John

Yep, you may just neec to lift the engine up, and hopefully take the sump off without taking it all out. I fitted a vitesse sump, beaten on a pile of sand, until I had clearance witout the sump gasket, and that gave me a bit of clearance with gasket. Blutack is probably better. You do need to do it as otherwise you will be adjusting bonnet heihts, sending gaps out at the doors/sills/valance and massive wheelarch gaps! Worth the time to get it right, or will will always regret it!

Cheers
Clive

dave and lynn (gatwick tssc)organising it, 10 am start at pease pottage services, drive to the tangmere military aviation museum just this side of chichester. Not expensive, drive wot you like (we might be in the zafira or maybe, just maybe the herald!)
Low key, not to car ry if you follow.

Cheers
Clive

Boy that was tight!

I used the blutac method on the front carb top and rocker cover front stud and found about 10mm of clearance, the closest being the carb. After fitting the spacers, i've got about 4mm clearance between carb and bonnet and 2mm between sump and rack. ;D

I didn't manage to make the Gatwick group run on Sunday. When I went to the garage to get the Vitesse out I found thet some little **** had fallen trough the asbestos roof making a big hole in the roof and two big dents in my boot!  :'(He/she then wrecked all my shelving using it as a ladder to climb back out. Miffed to say the least. >:(

On a positive note, the Vit passed it's MOT first time on Friday. It was raining and on the way home the wiper switch decided it had had enough and now I can't turn the wipers off without pulling the wires out of the switch.

Glen.

[quote by=Richard_B link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1163526561,s=10 date=1164035268]Is it illegal to have sharpened pikes sticking up just below the roof inside the garage?[/quote]

Only if it is done deliberately.  If you just happen to be storing that agricultural implement that is often towed behind a tractor - the one with lots of spikes to rake the soil - in the roof space of the garage, upside down of course - well out of the way to stop you tripping over it, and spikes up so you don't accidentally bump your head on one of course.

Archived