thermostat or no thermostat, that is the question

supergreenmachine73

Quoted from Rarebits

The thermostat is there to get the engine up to it's optimum temperature as quickly as possible, then to maintain that temperature with minimal fluctuation.

Cheers,
Bill.

Thereby reducing engine wear in the early stages of warming up - which will be delayed in an engine with no thermostat, as water is being constantly cooled down as it’s trying to heat up, and then keep it at the optimum temperature for engine performance. The system was designed to have a thermostat for a reason, not as an optional extra.

Quoted from DougBGT6
I must have changed a dozen water pumps in my time, not one died of impellor cavitation, it was always the bearing! I'd be really interested to hear if anybody on here has actually suffered from cavitation. In the mean time for people asking for advice let me repeat, Triumph designed it to have a thermostat so, why not fit a.................thermostat!

Doug,
It's not just about cavitation causing wear on the impellor. When a pump is cavitating it is not operating efficiently and hence not cooling your engine as well as it could.

Getting back to the original question though, I agree whole heartedly with your final comment and with everyone else who has said that you must run with a thermostat.

Which laws of physics have I violated, dear Rob?
I wasn't arguing those anyway, but the design of different heat transfer units.

Just for starters, go to the BBC Bitesize page on convection: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa_pre_2011/energy/heatrev2.shtml
Quote: "despite their name, [household] radiators transfer most of their heat to a room by convection."

John

Quoted from JohnD
Which laws of physics have I violated, dear Rob?
I wasn't arguing those anyway, but the design of different heat transfer units.

And your insistence that this changes everything violates the first law of physics - that the laws of physics apply equally to all things.

Quoted from JohnD
Just for starters, go to the BBC Bitesize page on convection: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa_pre_2011/energy/heatrev2.shtml
Quote: "despite their name, [household] radiators transfer most of their heat to a room by convection."

Had you bothered to read what I wrote you'd see that I already know that full well! And the same is true of car radiators because, despite any difference you may think is so critical, they ARE THE SAME THING at a fundamental level.